Thinking of playing the Yakuza series:

Thinking of playing the Yakuza series:
Release order or Chronological order?

And if release, is it worth going through certain games twice- or do I just play the Kiwami versions?
Also are Dead Souls and Like a Dragon worth a look, or just stick with the mothership titles?

Attached: Ez6biRvXoAI5bgT.png (500x408, 245.56K)

Release order.
Play Kiwami 1 and 2 as well to see the extra content that was added.
Basically, play every game to get the complete story.

Dont listen to this man, he is objectivly wrong.

Play 0 - > Kiwami 1 -> Kiwami 2

After 0 you probably become hooked or really turned off.

always release order
t. retard who started with Y0 and had a plot point spoiled in advance
>do I just play the Kiwami versions?
you can, but Y1 and Y2 are good in their own right and worth playing
>Dead Souls
dunno, don't have a ps3
>Like a Dragon
great game even though the turn based shit got kinda tedious by the end, definitely worth playing

Retarte take.
You go with release order to experience the series' growth. Kiwami and Kiwami 2 are excellent games, but they cut things out. You play both versions to get the complete story.
IF YOU'RE ON PC, emulate the originals.

Yakuza 0 is a much much better game than Kiwami in almost every aspect but for stories sake play Kiwami first. 0 Probably has more impact after you finish the first 5. You realise why certain characters act the way they do.

t. Started with 0. Don't watch the end credits of 0 if you play it. It spoils a lot.

Thanks all.
Guess I'm starting from the beginning.

>IF YOU'RE ON PC, emulate the originals.
Nah, so what it means is I'll need to finally order that HD retrovision cable I've been putting off.

Kiwami isn't a standalone remake of 1. It's entirely intended to be played after 0, not as the first game in the series. You either start with PS2/PS3 1 or you start with 0, take your pick.

Good man. You won't regret it.

lots of the magic of 0 is lost if you haven't played 1, 2, and 4 so the best order is 1>2>4>0>5>6. 3 is the only bad game in the series, I'd recommend skipping it because it creates a lot of Yakuza fatigue and I can see it affecting one's enjoyment of 4, which is probably the best of the series along with 5.

Just play Zero and watch a summary on youtoooobe for the rest

>0 before 5
Dude, 0 is filled to the brim with 5 references, even more than it has to Ishin.

I went with chronological order and think release order would have been better.
Go release order

Attached: Ea4psVjWsAI4HHe.jpg (2048x2048, 1.43M)

Thank you.
But, well, I remember now why I was putting this thing off.

Release seems to be almost unanimous, so yeah I'm going with that.
Thanks again.

Attached: shipping.png (483x548, 38.26K)

I will say though, try to play something else in between each installment or you'll run the high risk of burning out

Attached: YAKUZA 4_20210626160855.png (1920x1080, 2.27M)

I'm playing through Yakuza Kiwami right now on ps4 and enjoying it more than I thought I would. My first Yakuza game. Thought I would find myself skipping cutscenes and side quests but it's actually been fun. On chapter 7 right now. I'm probably gonna pick up Yakuza 0 on pc since its on sale currently.

You'll be in for a way better plot going from Kiwami 1 to 0, that's for sure

Retard. You are listening to one samefag. Almost unanimously the agreed upon order is 0 > Kiwami > Kiwami 2 > 3-7

You will no doubt get burned out so at least play the best game first. It's also the proper order chronologically for the story.

The only thing that matters at this point is to make sure to play the original version of Yakuza 2. The remake fucks up so much.

Playing 0 first just made me think less of 1, 2, and 3.

>skipping any of the games
>missing out on Mine kino

Attached: 1536162289345.jpg (512x384, 50.49K)

More like a lot makes fuck all sense if you don't start with Zero. Zero lays the groundwork and is the best entry point into the series. A lot of retards ITT as like 90% of people agree chronologically with 0, Kiwami 1+2, then the rest in order.

>makes fuck all sense
0 was literally written after 5 of the games were already out, it doesn't interfere with anything already in place and is a properly self-contained story. You lose nothing by playing 0 after 1-5, you'll just appreciate how much fucking better the series got

>Skipping 3
>Missing out on Kiryu finally being happy and protecting his kids
>Missing out on Kiryu meeting his Uncle
>Missing out on Nakahara and Rikkya
>Missing out on Albert We-I mean, Andre Richardson and his incredible voice acting
I get that the Orphanage chapters and combat are kinda slow but it's legitimately kino if you learn to embrace them

Attached: Kiryu.jpg (943x472, 77.37K)

For 99% of people they aren't going to play through five consecutive 100 hour games you fucking retard. Zero is meant to serve as the entry point and is the best entry by a significant margin

Not that guy saying retarded shit about skipping but 3 legitimately is the dumbest one in a bad way I think. 4 and 5 are stupid too but in a fun way
It's not even the kids, I think the poor villains and the supremely silly interference from Not-Kazama and Americans was going a bit too over the top. Plus Mine and his entire shtick about
>muh daigo, how could yo end up in a coma, you're so defenseless when you're asleep
Shit

Kiwami is literally just 0 with PS2 cutscenes and have 0 original asset. You get burned out because you played the same fucking game back to back.
>1 to 2: refined gameplay, new city
>2 to 3: refined gameplay, new engine, new city, new minigames
>3 to 4: new playable characters, new songs
>4 to 5: refined gameplay, new cities, new playable characters, new minigames, new songs
>5 to 0: new combat system, new playable character, new minigames, new songs
>0 to kiwami: literally nothing

OP was already intent on playing the series, so he's better off playing it in release order

what about kiwami to 0?

Retard, this is why no one takes Any Forums seriously

Check the IP count, schizoid.
The people who say ultra-polished game, then remakes, then 2009-2012 PS3 ports are morons.
Release order.

I can't take you seriously either

Honestly, I just enjoyed the plot as a campy b-movie. It was fucking surreal seeing Mine show up to the Orphanage to have it destroyed, then tell all the Orphans that they're pathetic leeches and the world would be better off if they were dead, then fucking slap Haruka. Dude's like a fucking cartoon villain. I know the entire plot is insanely fucking ridiculous but I love it for that, especially after all the JINGWEON JINGWEON KOREA MURDER EVERYONE XD shit from Yakuza 2.

Attached: Kiryu 2.jpg (1360x768, 192.43K)

Are you unable to play old games? Unable to emulate? Unable to play indies or AA or literally anything except the newest and shiniest?

It's a narrative based game you fucking retard

It's a good entry point, sure, but it wasn't meant to be that way. 0 and Kiwami are a two-part "10th Anniversary project."

If I had to tally up the amount of dumb shit between 1, 2, and 3, I think 3 still wins because it has Mine, Americans, and Not-Kazama be a part of it while 1 had Jingu and 2 and Secret Koreans everywhere. 3 has its ultimate trifecta of bullshit

Okay, we get it, you can type "retard" out. Well done.
>THE WAY I PLAY IS BEST WAY
You're wrong though and are only showing that Y0 bandwagoners are cancer.

>people suggesting release order give explanations as to why it’s the most reasonable option
>people suggesting chronological order/kiwamis throw a hissy fit and call you a retard if you don't agree
many such cases

this
t. only played yakuza 2 after playing kiwami 2 first, the latter sucks

Start with 0 then go to kiwami 1 and kiwami 2 and then 3,4,5,6 and finish with like a dragon. The old games are oudated af and not even fun due to it, boomers try to tell you they're the best way to play but that simply isnt true.

>It's also the proper order chronologically for the story.
0 uses cutscenes directly from 4 and barely has you understand anything about his want to get back to Saejima unless you already played 4 despite it being the main reason for his actions in 0, has a character from 5 in it, and several Ishin callbacks. 3 directly calls back to Kenzan when you do Komaki stuff. K1 itself has Majima call back to Dead Souls and Ishin during Majima Everywhere. 0 through K2's Amons can't even be canon to the Amon story just as a simple example. 3 calls back to Adam once you do the hostesses on top of the Amon issue which immediately invalidates K2 as even happening. Hell, Majima Saga itself directly contradicts 5 because Majima was obsessed with Park all the way up until she died and was constantly thinking about her which is established in 5, he wasn't romantically involved with Makoto at all and it's incredibly odd that they try pushing that angle after the events of 5.

0 also expects you to already understand what the Mad Dog is to Majima and that he's the Mad Dog in 1 or the ending of his portion is fairly disjointed. It also technically expects you to understand Majima marries Park like a year or two after 0's events so you're not supposed to get romantically attached to Makoto at all.

Sure, it's technically chronological if you ignore playing Kenzan and Ishin which, regardless if it has no impact on the main story, still gets several parts of Kiryu's and Majima's development tied to them. If you even remotely plan on touch side content you can't say it's chronological because it isn't. It's a disjointed mess with constant callbacks to stuff you don't even know about and outright contradictions.

Attached: YAKUZA 3_20210212110914.jpg (1920x1080, 888.39K)

Kiwami was built on 0 and somehow 0 still have more exclusive assets.

Based Moose ethers the retard.

"Play in yakuzas in release order" is a meme forced by pretentious apes on neo-Any Forums

I don't get the K1 then 0 idea. 0 was released first so it sets everything up for K1 and K2.. how does it spoil it?

I started with 0 and liked it so much that I thought I could try to be objective about my opinions on the earlier games. Up until Yakuza 4, I thought the quality was slowly going down but 4 thankfully brought it back up. I kept thinking with each game "was that it?" and starting with 0 really raises the standard if someone plays it as their first and will inevitably experience the older ones as inferior.
I sort of ended up that way but still find smaller things to appreciate from each release but still hold 0 at the top while 4 and 5 follow behind.
I should have played it in release order, basically. I would have come to judge each game a bit more fairly without thinking "0 was really fucking good/better" in the back of my head

Attached: I sure hope kiryu chan doesn't do this.png (243x261, 80.41K)