When did everything go to shit with the series?

When did everything go to shit with the series?

Attached: Old vs new Pokemon.png (1755x1019, 599.51K)

gen 5

Attached: oldnewdesigns2.png (1146x2194, 724.2K)

Based

Even trying as hard as you can to make incelleon good for a meme, it flops and crashes and burns.
Wow, what a FUCKUP of a design, lads.

Gen 0 best gen

Attached: gen0gen1.png (1018x527, 433.22K)

Machoke > Gurrdurr
Persian > Liepard
Eevee > Fennekin
Drowzee < Munna
Simple as

Attached: 1654189786327m.jpg (699x1024, 76.28K)

>Random pointless armor plates
Glad they did away with that

I like the fact that the original designs are just animal-esque in nature. If every Pokemon exists just to have a gimmick as it's personality, it's just a mascot fighter and not a monster simulator.
It helps with world building. It feels so bland if every trainer is just fighting with a toy character with the exact same stock personality traits they bought from a store than a unique critter with a personality raised into it.

Many of the original set had personalities (if not outright backstories) along with other nonsensical elements built into their designs from the original batch. I have no idea why people try to act like every single Hypno carrying around a pendulum it uses to hypnotize people is any less egregious than Cinderace kicking around rocks like soccer balls

Because Hynpo sound like folklore that exists in the real world, just exageratted and placed onto a specific creature. But look at the anime, we SEE Hypnos with different personalities over the years despite the same gimmick.
Meanwhile, every Ciderace is just the same Cinderace because of marketing. Does it have real world symbolism? Only in it's design. The rest of the concept is just for marketing. Remove it from Pokemon, and 'Anime Rabbit that Plays Soccer' versus 'Creepy Tapir that hypnotizes people' is a clear indicator of the issue at hand.
Mankeys are all angry? Some breeds of animals ARE aggressive. Not every fucking lizard wants to be James Bond. The closest thing I'd argue your point is the 2 original Hitmons, but even then, they expanded the concept beyond 'Lol Sports Celeb Parody' and if you remove the names, the creatures themselves are almost entirely removed (again, we've seen ones with different personalities) outside of dealing with martial arts. I'd argue the only one with a set backstory is Cubone, but we have evidence the Pokedex isn't accurate in it's portrayal of the species, because we've seen non-orphaned Cubones wearing Skulls in the games and anime; so all those dex entries really are in reference to the specific events of the first game or should be better worded that 'in the case of it's Mother's death, it wears her skull' or something along those lines.

>not liking Drowzee

I honestly think it was Gen 3. It was the moment they started relying on NPCs stopping you every few steps and talking to you and made Pokemon 100% lawful good and everyone loves them and the whole wide world revolves around them. You play Sword and Shield and Hop or Leon stop you - I counted - 35 times before you're allowed to explore the wild area. This after Chairman Rose's horrible intro speech and Raihan vs Leon. Leon does the Charizard pose 8 times. Do you remember X and Y's route 1? How it was a 10 step straight line? That excessively kiddy handholdy shit started with Gen 3. The designs of Pokemon going to shit is due entirely to the focus on appeasing four year olds.

don't care about your muh realism, Liepard just looks more appealing than Persian

>I can't believe a monster has plates!

>Meanwhile, every Ciderace is just the same Cinderace because of marketing
There's literally only been one prominent Cinderace being Goh's in the anime. If we're going to be using an example that this board bitches about, the different Incineroar we've seen don't even have the same personality, Kukui's was fun-loving and bombastic whereas Cross' was vicious and focus-didn't play up it's villain persona at all, it was just a villain. This also extends to tons of other Gen 1 examples btw. Why does every single Mr. Mime like miming? Why is every Machamp some macho tough guy? Is every Cubone some reserved sad-sack? Is every Gyarados a rampaging monster? You're full of shit dude.

are not people tired of thie same shit topic every time? it doesnt matter nothing is going to change

I love that you had to wildly edit the new designs to fit your narrative

Left looks so much worse holy shit

"Classic Pokemon" was only a Gen 1 thing. As early as Gen 2 we started to get more high-concept "literal" designs like Xatu, Murkrow, Smeargle and Bellossom

Attached: a LITERAL paintbrush and beret.png (600x600, 186.38K)

Those are some nice sprites, got anymore? The only way for me to enjoy modern pokemon designs is to see them represented as sprites because I hate the modern pokemon design style.