Is VGC dead?

Think about this
>your main attacker is a fire type
>use eruption on an enemy grass type
>they terastalize to water, tank the hit
>retaliate with a water Tera blast
>your main attacker is dead and you couldn’t have prevented it no matter what
Basically in a best of 1 format there’s no way for you to predict the Tera type and that could just end the game right there
Smogon will ban this shit but in VGC it’s definitely gonna be legal. What does this mean?

Attached: 4209AB64-991B-487B-8390-AF2108741320.jpg (1200x843, 104.8K)

>there’s no way for you to predict the Tera type
It's called knowing the meta.

This, eventually you'll get a feel for what Teratypes will be used as it becomes clear what combinations are the best.

What difference does it make? It's not like Pokemon was ever competitive to begin with
People play VGC because TPC puts money into it, not because its a competitively viable game

I don’t think people are playing for the prizes. There’s hardly any money in VGC. The payouts are abysmal, the entry fees are high as fuck, and you have to travel to compete in big tourneys which costs hundreds in hotels and airfare. The championship barely pays $10000 and like half of that goes to taxes.

It's not just the money, it's just that its 'official'

Well this is the same type of thing "people" cried about when HP was removed. These "people" said that it was IMPOSSIBLE to predict HP type. These people have and will never play competitive in their lives, so instead of learning the meta to see that you can predicy terastlize types they can complain about it instead

Damn sounds like VGC might actually be fun to participate in and watch for once

HP was 60 base power. This shit will be at least 80

It's pretty damn different to HP though

VGC is genuinely fun to play in the years where they use a restricted format. I swear.

Guarantee OP is the same type of retard who thinks Ghost Tera Tyranitar is going to be a huge problem

It’s certainly better than Dynashit.
>Dynamax
>You get not only Psuedo Double HP (that is to say Double HP but shit like Super Fang and Pain Split are weaker too), a bunch of immunities, and Max moves
>Double HP is universal, so all hits besides Anti-Dynamax moves are halved
>Terastallize
>You change your regular type to a mono type you have for that set
>This means you could soak up more damage in 1 turn than Dynamax, but you just shift your weaknesses and resistance around
The only issue I can see with Terastallizing in VGC is Ghost Terastallize since it would make the user immune to Fake Out (which Dynamax already does and does so with little counterplay)

HP used to be 70 and you don’t give up your regular STABs for what is supposed to be coverage.
In a way, HP is more “broken” than Tera Blast because of that aspect.

You don’t give up your regular stabs if you tera to something else either.

In terms of prediction, not really.
For most Pokemon, the Tera Type they’ll have will most likely be Defensively Compliments, STAB coverage, Super STAB, or both.
Like Volcanion would likely use Ground Tera since not only does it compliment its Fire/Water typing with bonus Water Absorb, but also gets Earthpower STAB (while it does lose Steam Eruption and Fire STABs).

>In terms of prediction, not really.
But your HP type has to be decided before the battle, meaning its better to use a general-use type that covers your weaknesses.
If HP could be changed mid-battle like Tera will be, we'd have seen a massively different meta

Your Tera Type also has to be decided before battle too.

Idk where you people get this idea people are going to do "defensive Tera" to block a hit for a single turn. Gen 9 VGC is going to be "unga I tera Typhlosion fire choice specs Eruption while Togekiss uses follow me"

oh well ignore me then, I thought you chose the type on the fly

>I don’t see how people in VGC would ever use Terastallize to avoid one of the most common moves in Doubles
Did you ever play a format before Dynamax/Gen 8?

Yeah, but I do genuinely enjoy doubles over singles

I can see the value in it, but the value is limited.
You dodge (or even just resist) one attack.
VGC is a best of 3 format, so the trick won't even work twice.
It's not worthless, but you'll get more mileage out of unga bunga.