How much better would this game be with animated cutscenes?

I'm so fucking tired of the stilted human models during any dialogue exchange.
Nevermind the actual graphics, THIS is what makes these games look and feel so cheap. Hell, I've even noticed recycled animation from fucking Sun/Moon. This was barely acceptable on the 3DS. It makes me cringe.

Attached: 1643304108985m.jpg (910x1024, 168.15K)

The worst offender is the "black screen with sound effects" in place of an animation that's been a staple since SM. Almost all Pokemon related sidequest have this and it's so sad because having, for example, Geodude actually press the jars or Eevee eat its food would have made those quests much more meaningful

Yeah this aspect absolutely reeks of laziness, no exaggeration.

Monster Hunter World had 2 hours of animated cutscenes. I wish Game Freak can make something similar…

Trips of truth. I was actually really getting into PLA last night, but when this happened during the Braviary quest, it completely took me out of it.
Imagine if a modern Mario or Zelda game did this. Everybody would give it so much crap.

Or the Mr. Mime quest. You're telling me they couldn't show Mr. Mime running away each time you catch him? There's no excuse.

honestly wonder if it's a time constraint at this point. the sidequests are cool and invoke a lot of individual lore about the pokemon involved but the lack of animations on them stands out hard.

Exactly this. I just went through the Braviary stuff and it got me so mad. I can still understand for the sidequest but on the main story it's unforgivable. Specially when it's supposed to be a cool cutsene with the warden showing you Braviary flight for the first time.
Same for stuff like Gengar kidnapping Growlithe offscreen

What's weird is that some quests do have animations. Like when that one dude gets scratched by a Glameow.

In most cases it would be as easy as using an existing animation (the move visuals, not just the Pokemon moving) at the result would be much better. It's like FX were forbidden during cutscenes

I really like the game but this was one of the most obnoxious things in the game. Between the plates just popping up out of nowhere in your hand and Sabi just hopping on to Braviary in a dark flash with no real animation, it was just annoying and inconsistent with a lot of other things they animated. I can accept the regular items just being something invisible that a character motions towards you to hand over because a lot of other RPGs do the same thing but I would think that they would step it up for the handful of important cutscenes.

I can recall multiple times where BotW had this. The tranny questline in the desert had more than one, the crazy bitch with the flowers

2 hours seems excessive and would annoy the fuck out of people especially if they cant skip it. Id imagine more like the shorter cut scenes like in the console fire emblem games

yeah. it feels weird given that we're talking about a multi-billion dollar earning franchise but it always feels like Game Freak aren't given the time and or manpower to see their vision to the fullest and have to cut corners like this to get things -done- , esp compared to some of the recent thing's we've been getting in terms of animation etc.

It's just weird that this game has so many other small soulful additions, yet they kept that shitty quality they introduced in Gen 7 where they skimp on the animations in cutscenes unless they're classified as "movies".

I've thought of a good way to fix this issue, no animations needed. Just make it so your character is able to walk around a small perimeter where the "cutscenes" is taking place, like how you're able to move around during battles.

Kids these days can't use their imagination, I swear.

here's the thing: if they wanted to just be lazy, it would be way better if they just didn't cut to black. It would feel about the same quality and it wouldn't waste the player's time. It is factually worse to just cut to black because it takes more effort than nothing and just looks and feels worse in all respects.

That was a good argument back when technical limitations hampered how much the player could see on a gameboy screen. And even then the gameboy games would just as easily be able to show a Mr. Mime running away from you.

This really isn't important at all, at least to me. The cutscenes do exactly what they need to do, there's really no point in putting more effort into them to achieve the exact same purpose. Same applies to the lack of voice-acting, it's totally unnecessary.

So I guess animating and modeling the characters, world, and Pokemon was also unnesessary? The text box tells you all you need to know after all.

Pokemon story is always padding anyway.

I prefer it being fairly minimal (Just let us know what's generally going on), so we can get on with the gameplay.

I think the worst offender is the model's clothing patterns are all ultra pixelated or blurry.

Like they were all made super tiny and the game is scaling them up or something. Its not super noticeable most of the time but when the game hangs on character models in cutscenes, it starts to catch my eye.

The animations being lazy aren't anything new but at least the characters have more emotions than just spinning in place and wagging their hands back and forth.

I think a game like this would vastly benefit from having voice actors though too. Going from Monster Hunter Stories 2 and comparing it with this is like night and day.