Films should not be abstract...

Films should not be abstract. They should not be intentionally ambiguous for the sake of the audience projecting their own meaning onto the story. As a director, your job is to convey a coherent story to the audience, and more importantly, convey your own specific artistic vision to them. If the film isn't clearly communicating those then it has effectively failed as a storytelling device. Any fool can scribble nonsense on a page and call it a story with an open ending. That does not bely any sort of respectable craftsmanship. It's lazy.

Jodorowsky? Hack
Refn? Hack
Lynch? Giga-hack

Attached: 103978904-The_meme_formerly_known_as_Kuk_1.jpg (512x468, 18.5K)

I like intentionally ambiguous movies because they stick in my mind longer trying to work them out. Sorry not sorry

Disagree.

>Jodorowsky? Hack
>Refn? Hack
>Lynch? Giga-hack
None of them are abstract.

Wrong.
>If the film isn't clearly communicating those then it has effectively failed as a storytelling device.
Who said film is purely storytelling device? It's audio-visual art and thus it's completely valid if director use it to convey some feeling or idea.
Go read a book you dummy, they are much better medium for pure storytelling.

Attached: 1663044130371603.png (576x512, 646.33K)

But if they guide you toward being able to project meaning because of the mood and atmosphere they set, that’s also their doing. Also, the three directors you posted are very story-focused filmmakers that have weird shit sure, but have never once made some intentionally pretentious shlock where the point is the audience will never understand it. Lynch in particular is about the most respectable you can get in terms of directors balancing ambiguity/surrealism with strong story elements and themes.

Watch true avant garde cinema made for museum and film school crowds and you’ll never complain about these directors again.

>Also, the three directors you posted are very story-focused filmmakers that have weird shit sure, but have never once made some intentionally pretentious shlock where the point is the audience will never understand it.
You have never seen Twin Peaks season 3. or eraserhead

Midwit

Eraserhead is 100% character-based marriage drama that uses allegory. It’s my favorite Lynch. Twin Peaks S3 has several tangents, but if you’ve seen the first two seasons you understand what’s going on.
The fact you never brought up Inland Empire, his actual closest to incoherence, while still having a story, proves you don’t know what you’re taking about.

it depends
>heheheh, the fence shitter strikes again

autistic take

Nothing should be abstract. It’s the cope for prideful midwits who can’t crack the nut of making their ideas comprehensible to the general public. A strong analogy to if you don’t know how to say something simply, you don’t actually know it at all

ok fag where's your movie

Nah it's

retard
>This film doesn't make any sense, it's bad
midwit
>It's so heckin abstract and artistic. I wonder what it means? Man it's so deep!!!
genius
>This film doesn't make any sense, it's bad

retard cope

>frogposter
>is retarded
getting real tired of this trope

name 1 movie you like

Infinity War

Unforgiven

>audio-visual art
The audio and the visuals are only there to prop up story telling. A film can exist without audio. It cannot exist without plot.

Watch Un Chien Andelou.

This, but I'd like to add that films should always have Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime in them killing tons of people or they're not valid cinema.

>It cannot exist without plot.
lol
lmao
Watch more films.

lmao