Lord of the Rings 1978

Thinking of watching this, what should I expect? Will it live up to the live action version? Also there a reason the Two Towers is slapped in with this one?

Attached: The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(1978).jpg (255x390, 22.32K)

When there's a wip *WHIIIIPAAAAAA* there's a way

It's pretty good. I wish the sequel was made in the same style.
>Also there a reason the Two Towers is slapped in with this one?
It's not called the Fellowship of the Ring.

Lawd of da Nigs

its awful and proof that only japs can animate

It's bad but the cartoon hobbit rules.

It helps if you're already familiar with Bakshi's animation style. he also created Fritz the Cat and similar titles.

>what should I expect?

It's kind of an interesting movie from a historical perspective, but overall it's a fucking mess.

>Will it live up to the live action version

Lol, no. Although, the peter jackson movies are closer, just in the narrative framework, to this movie than they are the books. Peter kinda lifted a few too many ideas straight from it.

>Also there a reason the Two Towers is slapped in with this one?

I dunno. The ending scene of the film is pretty cool though.

It is legendarily shit and was widely mocked for decades, too many retards on this board confuse it with the FAR SUPERIOR Return of the King by Rankin Bass or the Hobbit cartoon.

Attached: 1613937666391.jpg (593x330, 46.28K)

It was a terrible trainwreck.

That was from the Rankin Bass movie that was pretty good.

some of its rotoscoped and looks very bad

It's an interesting film with some cool moments, but it's a bit of mess.
Animation and live action simultaneously is kinda jarring. It's got some great atmosphere at parts, that being said The Balrog is literally the stupidest looking thing in all of cinema

Hackson stripped any and all good framing/ideas from for his adaption, so you'll notice 1:1 parity for quite a few scenes across all the movies.
Also Tolkien wrote songs, and these translate really poorly if you're unfamiliar with the work, or are expecting just live action.

>The Balrog
I forgot about that. 50's movie monster movie costumes put that to shame.

I know it's getting memed right now but it's objectively speaking not very good.
It's a slow, ugly, rushed mess with an incomprehensible and disjointed narrative. If you've never read or watched LotR you wouldn't know what the fuck was going on half the time. There are some moments of great animation (rotoscoping) and beautiful imagery, especially at the start, but as the film goes on it becomes fairly obvious that the production was running out of time or money.

>Also there a reason the Two Towers is slapped in with this one
The plan was to release all three, first as individual films and then as LotR part I and II, but they just gave up after Two Towers. Coincidentally the studio that made the Hobbit put out Return of the King, though keep in mind neither of those two films have anything to do with Bakshi's.

It's very cool, very classic 70's fantasy. It's messy and awkward but that just adds to the charm I think. I unironically like the scene of Aragorn in The Prancing Pony more in this one than in the Jackson cut
>Aragorn is Native American for some reason and is voiced by John Hurt
>trying to convince the Hobbits to trust him
>Sam does his little "he says we should be careful, I says we start with HIM!" bit
>Aragorn gets all serious
>"Because, if I wanted the ring, I could have it. Now."
>draws his sword menacingly
>reveal that it's Anduril
>he pledges his sword to the Hobbits
Very kino scene.

>>reveal that it's Anduril

It's the broken hilt of Narsil. When they reforge it, it's renamed Anduril.

Attached: d3e93142e3ed83746cddd841aa3a301a.jpg (1086x666, 86.13K)

Forgot one. When the elves get up the montain one of thoses elves is blacc i think he's grabing the hand of a guy to help him get up or something (maybe lasted a second or half a second)
Very hard to notice but my racist senses never fail me

Attached: 1661136681028858.png (976x850, 434.43K)

It will not live up to the live action version, but it’s not bad per se. It’s a different vision that ran out of money. It’s a good take on Fellowship with some sprinkling of Two Towers. Some bits are actually better, like Gandalf telling Bilbo “Do not say that again!” and Bilbo looking more like a desperate junkie that wants another hit instead of going all goblin mode.

This. Bashki was too dogmatically attached to rotoscoping and forgot that one of the benefits of animation is that you're free to draw shit that can't possibly exist real life. Instead he just insisted they trace everything which meant the whole thing is just a cheap stage play with a layer of animation on top of it. The orcs are just humans wiht red eyes, the Balrog is a mannequin on a string, it's all just kind of lazy and uninspired. Rankin and Bass did it so much better

Attached: dafuq is this shit.jpg (1200x907, 224.65K)

The Hobbit is good but RotK is pretty meh.