FILM PROFESSOR: "ANIME IS NOT ART"

Thoughts?

Attached: 1656893141125.png (1193x179, 48K)

You're gonna have to post a lot more than a very narrow crop of some guy no one has ever heard of before I believe this is anything more than bait.

Doctor Here.

You're diagnosed with terminal anime. you have four episodes left to live, more if you watch them on repeat. going to need to amputate

Makes trannies seethe so I support it

>Thoughts?
He sounds pretentious but he's entitled to his opinion even if I disagree

Spirited Away is one of the most acclaimed films ever so not even other critics would agree

There is something deeply repulsive about Japanese media that I find hard to articulate. A lot of western stuff might piss me off, or just elicit total indifference due to how garbage it can be, but even Japanese media which I enjoy a great deal just bothers me in some way.
There's a fakeness to a lot of it, any anime or game or film that is just totally ridiculous and honest about what it is I find enjoyable. But the shit that takes itself seriously just reeks of dishonesty and artifice, even down to how the voice acting and animation are done in a lot of cases. It can try to be twee, or sentimental, but there's a deep-rooted lack of empathy that makes all the dialogue come across as canned, like a really shallow imitation of what a "wholesome" interaction should be from the point of view of a robotic narcissist who tacitly assumes anything positive or nice means a mutual agreement to be dishonest and coddle one another in a very regimented "etiquette" sort of way, that even when it tries to be spontaneous and impulsive, all the movements and sounds the characters make come across as forced and written by a sociopath playing with a dollhouse, creating his utopian reality where nobody really challenges one another.
I guess a way to put it would be that even in the worst western media, a character arc is usually about self-honesty and their inner moral voice, the task of becoming a better person, and learning. With a lot of Japanese stuff its almost like they have no concept of that, and a good world is not one where individuals become good, but where everyone gets what they want so nobody has to be cruel to get what they want and be a good friend is more being polite than pushing someone to be better.
It's hard to explain what I mean. It's evident in the way they treat maturity and tragedy, almost always the brutality of the act is focused on to an excessive degree, it feels like they're all a bunch of rapists and serial killers who are having to constantly repress.

Attached: 1643317064660.png (1353x2008, 692.58K)

He said >he thinks
That’s his faggy opinion. Anime is based. Dragon Ball is godtier

Attached: 358A79A1-F654-4DE6-91A0-7A995D0A660C.jpg (960x576, 68.3K)

here's my thought. The issue with discussing anime seriously like this is that, as the pic pointed out, the primary consumers are adolescents, and will scream if you tell them that EVA isn't the best movie ever

Based.
Trannies BTFO

Attached: faggot.png (507x153, 56.41K)

Hello yes I am a Dr as you can see by my name.

The chad Roger Ebert and the virgin Dr. Josh Matthews.

>young people (under 18) can't decide what is art due to their brains not being fully developed yet
>they can however decide what their "true" gender really is

lol you watch faggot Japanimation

What are the films on the left?

Attached: 1634490919193.jpg (1280x720, 93.33K)

he's a midwit

Some anime is art. But, not all of it is. The same can said of any work in any medium. Not all films are art, but some are. Not all games are art, but some are.

I mean, I'd never call whatever generic moe thing that's out or shonen fighting anime #2345324 art. But, there are things like Angel's Egg, Dragon's Heaven that have some real merit. Whether that's just some animator or art director showing their stuff off or movies with something to say. I think most normies only see whatever's recommended to them, just any medium.

99% of anime is absolute dogshit
i'd say shit like akira is art though

Is he right?

Attached: 1636906871956.png (850x400, 137.14K)

>Americans take films too literally — you are forever trying to puzzle out ‘the story’ and to find hidden meanings where there are perhaps none. For you, a film must be entirely rational, without unexplained mysteries.

>Europeans and Asians, on the other hand, look upon films as they're intended to be looked upon, as works of visual art, to be reacted to as one reacts to a painting, subjectively rather than objectively. For Europeans and Asians, ‘the story’ is of secondary importance and they are not bothered by what you call ‘ambiguity.

Attached: 1658354029088.jpg (739x415, 29.14K)

he may be might, i don't know anyone over 30 that watches anime.

Based
grow up, Peter Pan

He's completely right but there are anime that does have more mature sensibilities aimed at adults he is looking for, same thing with manga, and at least a handful of video games.

I always knew anime was based. Making pseuds seethe is just a bonus.

Film isn’t art either lol

>kid's tv shows appeal primarily to kids

woah doc, going to need you to slow down and talk in english.

Attached: 4a4.jpg (637x476, 39.42K)

>Americans take films too literally — you are forever trying to puzzle out ‘the story’ and to find hidden meanings where there are perhaps none.
>IS THAT A BLACK TRANS IMMIGRANT DISABLED WOMAN, WHAT IS THE HIDDEN MEANING THEY ARE TRYING TO PUSH ON MY CHILDREN, THIS IS LITERAL SATANIC LEFTIST COMMIE PROPAGANDA
I wholeheartedly agree, American audiences should NOT be catered for

of course it's art

Attached: 1484233757643.webm (960x540, 416.28K)

Any time you see some self-appointed "expert" say THEIR favorite medium is art but those OTHERS aren't is just trying to make themselves feel superior to other people by using their degree as an excuse to assert their art preferences are more valid than everyone else's.

The Rick Beato channel and its consequences have beeb a disaster for the human race.

I agree that anime is garbage
I disagree with the notion that great art has to be complex and touch on multiple aspects of life at once
Plotfags should be rounded up and shot

>exclusively to younger people (under 18)
So this retard is talking out of his ass and completely ignoring the market for seinen and josei manga and their anime adaptations. Even in my Japanese culture class I took as an elective, the professor had us read articles on how manga and anime even have markets for adults as well. You were just as likely to see older salarymen reading manga as much as teenagers. I remember reading how samurai manga were one popular genre. The author of Lone Wolf and Cub ended up doing a golf sports manga for businessmen that was one of the more popular manga in the country due to that dedicated audience.

Attached: Kazuo Koike - Taichi yo Nakuna, 1233359.jpg (356x500, 50.41K)

This is better than art.

Anime is for degenerates and Mexicans.

>completely ignoring the market for seinen and josei manga and their anime adaptations
those are also targeted at teenagers

le midwit face