Muted colors in medieval movies/tv-show

Why does every new medieval movie/tv-show have to have muted colors?
E.g. Outlaw King, The King, Knightfall, History's Vikings, House of the Dragon
I guess ROP is an exception, but still why is this a trend?

Attached: 344466.jpg (1023x1362, 1.2M)

bump

HotD has the Long Night guy as showrunner

no wonder you can't see shit

South Korean dramas for the Joseon period avoid this. They are bright and colourful. Regardless of political intrigue, violence or even straight horror elements.
>Feng Shui
>The Treacherous
>The Kingdom
>Rampant
The Fortress is a bit drab but it takes place in winter. I've only just started and there's a bunch of others I still mean to watch.
>The Throne
>The King's Letters
>The Royal Tailor
If you like historical movies, look to Korea. They are far, far better than what Hollywood makes. Tubi has a lot of them.

Attached: 87659864684535.jpg (675x1000, 144.3K)

They need everything in the past to be dark and colorless now, not only the "dark" ages

also digital photography is just inherently kinda bland and when you up the colors it looks shitty and with little contrast

Attached: peter-o-toole-lawrence-of-arabia.gif (498x247, 2.98M)

Don't forget about The King. Oh, wait....you listed that one. Sorry.

How did we go from this...

Attached: New Picture (13)-min.png (1920x1080, 1.28M)

to this

Attached: New Picture (16)-min.png (1920x959, 1.08M)

Photo aesthetic

Painting aesthetic

Bottom fits the genre better, IMO.

House of the Dragon set is obviously cgi. Makes the show less believable.

Attached: New Picture (12)-min.png (1920x1080, 1.3M)

You're fucking blind, the tree set in HotD is very clearly not CGI. May be CGI enhanced, but it's an actual set.

this, you can even see Rhaenyra sitting on the roots

What's the portion of the cinematic process that goes from story to screen?
Like, if you took the story as it has happened so far and wrote it down on paper, it'd be fine.
But actually watching it has been awful, so what's the exact term for the part that's shit?
The screenplay? The direction? The cinematography?

It's like they forgot you need to actually SHOW shit happen and not just have a character inform the audience that it has happened, as if it were a play.

It's completely fake looking. Especially with the grey filter they put over it. Ignore the girls and it looks like a screenshot from a video game trying to be realistic. You can clearly tell it's not all real.

stfu
but it's clearly real, dumbass.

I looked it up, it's real.
Are people developing some kind of CGI paranoia? I watched the show and I never had a problem with the tree scenes.

Forgot picture.

Attached: index.png (522x539, 543.71K)

No, you can question it's fake because all the shit they added. GOT's tree set looks real.

If it looks off then that's a failure. Especially if it is real. That's just pathetic.

It looks fake because of the dumbass bloom they spam all over the place, makes it look like the Hobbit which people associate with terrible CGI. The set designers did a great job but they ruined it in post with pointless filters. I'll never understand the obsession with taking perfectly good, realistic looking footage and throwing shit on top of it

What you see here is a real set. The top of the tree is fake and some of the bushes in the final product are added with cgi

Attached: New Picture (5).png (1806x963, 2.94M)

They have decided to not like the show before watching it, then invent boogeymen like tree CGI to try and justify their dislike. Pathetic.

So they made a real set but even the real thing is ugly. Then they added their gloomy filters to keep in line with the rest of the show. Those filters are there to obscure nude women and tone down the prettiness of white people compared to the darkies.

Attached: house of the baboon New Picture (6)-min.png (1920x959, 1.01M)

both look good
you're too nitpicky

It's an obvious downgrade from the previous show moron. This show does nothing better despite double the budget.

>Outlaw King
was this any good?

Attached: pdt.png (680x510, 309.88K)

>bloom
It's not a videogame, bro.
>filters
It's not instagram, senpai.

I hate this zoomer speak. If you don't like the colorgrading say "I don't like the colorgrading" don't go on autistic tangents about CGI and post processing effects that are not there.

They clearly did some processing shit. Look at this bush. That's not real.

Attached: red.png (1920x959, 3.19M)

It's just a bush, bro, calm down.

its fine

Attached: HOTD2.jpg (3798x2088, 847.66K)