Beloved by both snooty theater critics and fans who thought that this would be absolute ass at first

>beloved by both snooty theater critics and fans who thought that this would be absolute ass at first
>ultimately closes down without recuperating it’s budget
>goes on tour
>gets cucked by COVID without any sign of returning once things go back to normal-ish
>still no word on returning to the Palace Theater gets fully renovated
>releases a proshot without the best jokes
>The SpongeBob Musical lies dormant while shit like Dear Evan Hansen and Hamilton thrive
The absolute state of Any Forums based musicals

Attached: 7ACA7CD0-9780-4B5F-A3EB-E33A0F0409B1.jpg (1080x906, 302.18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VqfMtEc6v74
youtu.be/JIeC47gu-dY
youtu.be/z8wMv6cl3HI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Only thing keeping them from making a show style remake or whatever is having to pay all the celebrity guest songwriters royalties

that was their biggest mistake, and probably why the cast is all no-names making their debuts

People seem to like to trash on Shrek the musical but i don't think it was half
bad.
The actors do excellent jobs playing their animated counterparts, the humor is serviceable (though admittedly some of it is stolen from the Shrek movies), and the songs are pretty good
youtu.be/VqfMtEc6v74
youtu.be/JIeC47gu-dY
youtu.be/z8wMv6cl3HI

Attached: MV5BN2U4YzBhNmYtNzAxZS00ZjcyLTg5NDEtMDM4ODVkMTZlZmNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzMwOTY2NTI@._V1_.jpg (1500x2048, 586.5K)

who the hell trashes on Shrek the Musical, it was fucking great

You think that's bad? Groundhog Day is one of the best ever musicals based on a movie, and almost nobody saw it. It has no fandom to speak of, and the national tour was closed due to lack of interest.

Meanwhile, fucking Beetlejuice is getting more attention than any musical has in years.

Attached: 18groundhog2-superJumbo.jpg (2048x1290, 561.55K)

beetlejuice was fantastic. what's the problem there?
if you want a mediocre Any Forums musical to rag on the Aladdin is right there

Beetlejuice was the new hotness for like a month before Hadestown blew way the fuck up

or Frozen. Especially Frozen, actually. Aladdin at least had Iglehart and the novelty of getting Jonathan Freeman to play Jafar again.

Honestly, Hamilton is like the only musical recently to have a good "film" adaptation recently, and that's mostly because it was just a proshoot. Spongebob, like you said, had a lot cut down and Dear Evan Hansen, despite having a story that could work as a film, was to focused on being a Ben Platt vanity project than an adaptation of the show, and in both cases you're better off just watching slime tutorials if you're searching for their good versions

Come From Away had a good proshoot come out recently too

I really want to see Hadestown.

it's v e r y good

also it's got Spider-Man and Green Goblin from Turn Off the Dark

I liked it well enough but if you prefer the big flashy poppy catch new Broadway stuff you might not appreciate it as much. i took my girlfriend and she didn't care for it even though andre de shield is a treasure

i personally need to see book of mormon and wicked before covid shuts the city down again

Wicked and Book of Mormon probably aren't in any danger of shutting down permanently for the foreseeable future, but David Byrne's American Utopia closes at the start of April and THAT is an absolute must-see.

Groundhog Day being overlooked isn't a reason to shit on Beetlejuice, which was indeed quite good (especially for a music that was a weird hybrid of a cartoon and movie).

>Ben Platt
That was the problem with that damn movie.

If it had Andrew Barth Feldman (an actual teenager who played Evan Hansen on broadway) in the role in the exact same movie with the problems that were implemented in the film adaptation (including getting rid of GOOD FOR YOU and DISAPPEAR), it would’ve been significantly improved.

But noooooo, Ben Platt had to do an Icarus and tried to get EGOT status with the same damn character and failed.

Attached: C81F44DF-3E09-430F-ACDA-E385A8B3B6FA.jpg (800x450, 41.67K)

don't forget In the Heights and the frankly baffling ways it changed the plot around

at least West Side Story was good

Lemme guess, killing the mom offscreen?

>removing Camila
>removing basically everything about the Benny/Nina romance when it was essentially the main plot of the stage musical
>removing Kevin's racism against Benny
>removing most of Kevin's characterization overall because I guess Jimmy Smitts didn't want to sing
>killing Claudia early
>consequently deleting Hundreds of Stories which is LITERALLY THE LYNCHPIN OF USNAVI'S CHARACTER ARC
>deleting Everything I Know and replacing it with the DREAMers subplot as Nina's motivation for going back to school (which doesn't get a song, fuck you)
>making the movie revolve around Usnavi and Vanessa's romance when it was a B-plot at best in the original

Spiderman was the better Any Forums musical anyways

Attached: spider-manjpg-05297bd0d951756b.jpg (1433x2048, 1.01M)

didn't one of the actors die or something

Nah they just got injured

The clips I've seen of this show are wild

As much as I hate the random racism I hate Hamilton and Evan Hansen even more. Spongebob may be pozzed but it only made me want to kill myself slightly

I went to this for my birthday once. Caught some of the webbing when spider-man shot it into the audience.