World-conquering villain’s motivation is tfw too ugly for gf

>world-conquering villain’s motivation is tfw too ugly for gf
Wow, he’s literally me!

Attached: 37E1253A-635B-4C97-8954-589435828AAA.jpg (1237x1214, 614.29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dochermes.livejournal.com/799233.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

user even the armor-thick realize the character is written as having self-image issues.

If I recall correctly, he did got scarred attempting to gain some supernatural power in a college experiment, so maybe he is just a power-hungry psycho megalomaniac

My headcanon will forever be that Victor got a small scar, but out of his obsession with perfection thought it made him hideous.

I hate modern Doomwank Doom where he’s always right and great. Classic Doom was a crazy asshole perfectionist who refused to confront his own problems.

This totally goes against what Lee and Kirby intended for the character. The explosion which disfigured Doom blew the door off his room! We see him in the hospital with his entire head wrapped in bandages! Reed and the captions both say Doom was hopelessly disfigured,.

IMO, the fan theory that Doom only had a tiny cut on his face cheapens the tragedy of the character and makes him seem petty,.

dochermes.livejournal.com/799233.html

Attached: doom.jpg (710x900, 286.57K)

IIRC Kirby only wanted a small scar highlighting Doom's arrogance, that he was convinced his gorgeous face was hideously destroyed forever just because of a small scar.
Byrne ran with this and made it so Doom's face was only disfigured completely AFTER he idiotically put the mask right after being forged, despite the monks telling him to wait until it cooled.
Lee, correct me if I'm wrong, wanted the scarring to be complete from the explosion.
In this case, I'm with Lee. It's an explosion from having a fucking door to hell going off on the man's face, that kinda thing doesn't leave a small scar. Besides, it being uber-top-notch supernatural in origin handwaves why even Doom can't just fix his face himself with all of his genius. And it sure beats putting on a burning metal mask when you're supposed to know what that does to flesh.

I have my own headcanon. Doom's a perfectionist to an unhealthy degree who realises that he's not perfect. He desperately wishes to be the spitting image of an Ancient Greek statue, but he just isn't. The same way he wants to be the smartest genius that ever geniused, but Richards surpasses him. So he starts noticing things. A cleft chin which means the two sides of the jaw aren't exactly symmetrical. The nose's a bit fatter in the middle than he'd like. His hairline's recessed. Minor stuff that build and build as he pays attention to them. His paranoia starts getting to him. So when the scar comes around, it's not a case of him ruining his oh so perfect face. It's the justification he finally needs to hide all of his imperfections under a personally crafted mask. The eviller he becomes, the more punches he takes, the worse his face gets, through stress and damage.

For me it fits because I've always read Doom as the guy who's a nobody trying to become somebody. If you turn him into a super-beautiful, smarter-than-everyone, better-than-everyone-at-everything type of character he then loses the nuance. For example, I used to read all those headcanons and fanfics. Most of them were written by women who went
>oh yeah, he's like super-tall and super-buff with a huge cock and he fucks violently but like gently and he's very caring about m-I mean the OC and he invites random women to fuck and...
It's just fanficcy garbage that delegates him to a power fantasy. The self-inserters who want to fantasize about being the bestest Chad ThunderCock, and the women who want to get fucked by that. It's just not good character development.

Like I said, IMO Doom's just a nobody who clawed to the top. He's "average", but he's average, or a bit more, at everything. Richards is smarter. Strange is more magically talented. Black Bolt was bred to be a King & so on. Doom's the guy burrying his "subpar" self in a suit of armour and trying to reate a myth for himself.

Attached: the_two_faces_of_doom_painting.jpg (785x1024, 218.15K)

But Kirby first came up with that retcon more than ten years later, Read FF # 5 and FF ANNUAL # 2, Doom was clearly disfigured, In the 1970s, Kirby made up the idea that Doom only had a small nick but I think it's a poor revision of a classic origin,

The iron mask was not red hot in the origin story, That's Byrne working at a lower creativity than Lee and Kirby, The monks are holding the mask with bare hands, they place it on Doom's face while he continues talking.. he's obviously not in pain from it.

Feel free to make up your own version of Dr Doom, but it has little to do with what Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created, While he was still a youth in Latveria, Doom was creating lifelike robots and other Mad Science gadgets,. He was offered a college scholarship in America because of his genius, He's hardly a nobody with nothing special about him,

You can make up what you want Doom to be, but at that point you might as well create a new character of your own.

This is Doom as a teenager before he left Latveria. I would say that inventing and making robots lifelike enough to fool people shows a little genius,. He wasn't an average Joe trying to fake it.

Attached: d 1 (2).jpg (951x459, 224.41K)

>Complains about fanfic garbage…
>Creates fanfic garbage.

Poetry

The mask was obviously not red hot, that's Byrne being dumb, The monk handles it bare-handed with no discomfort,. Doom keeps talking as the mask is put on, pulling up is cowl with no indication of being burned at all.

There is vapor coming off the mask, but they are in a freezing cold cave in Tibet,. It's like seeing your breath outside in the winter time,

Attached: doom 1 (2).jpg (1020x1032, 367.12K)

From FANTASTIC FOUR #5, art by Jack Kirby and Joe Sinnott.

I mean, look at that explosion. It blows the door right off and across the hall. And hospitals do not bandage your entire head for a tiny cut on the chin, Doom was obviously disfigured by the blast.

Attached: doom 2 (2).jpg (952x889, 427.86K)

I agree that Stan wanted Doom to have been disfigured, Every character that saw Doom without the mask was horrified and revolted,. But Kirby's art showed it too,

More than a decade later, Kirby started the idea that Doom had only suffered a tiny nick. But this was a retcon,. It sure wasn't how he originally drew the character,

From FF #10, Doom meets none other than Stan Lee and Jack Kirby themselves and horrifies them by taking off his mask.

I'm gonna guess part of this characterization came from the 1925 Lon Chaney movie THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

Attached: doom 3 (2).jpg (949x479, 213.83K)

Maybe Stan, as the editor, made Jack redraw the (original) scene? I highly doubt it though, back then books had to be put out on the double and Kirby was handling several at once so it's unlikely he had the time for that.

most likely they decided that Doom being disfigured from the original accident or because of the burning mask was irrelevant because he was in the end scarred when he appeared

From FF ANNUAL #2, this is a masterful sequence. The tragedy and pathos we are meant to feel for Doom is cheapened if he's supposed to only have a tiny nick on his chin. It takes away all dignity from the character,

Attached: doom 4.jpg (1054x1600, 641.58K)

There's also absolutely no reason to think this wasn't the original drawing and intent. Kirby never mentioned the idea that Doom wasn't disfigured until the mid-1970s, more than fifteen years after the origin story had been printed. I think he came up with the retcon then and played with the idea, but there was nothing in the comics themselves to support it.

Doom was disfigured from the explosion, That was the whole point of the origin story in FF #5,. The burning mask idea was invented by John Byrne decades later,. Like most of his retcons, it was no improvement on what Lee and Kirby had done. In 1962, neither Lee nor Kirby had any doubts that Doom's face had been mutilated by the accident,

was this by Byrne or Kirby?

That said: yeah, the original portrayal implied Doom was fully disfigurated.
But it also was narrated by Reed, unreliable narrator.

the later telling of "minor scar, then ruined by hot mask" still fits by simple nature of Reed not being completely aware of Doom's actual wounds.
And minor burns that leave no scars would also result in a full bandage if they were enough

From THOR #183, Dr Don Blake gets a look at Doom's jacked up mug and loses his cool entirely. He says it's beyond what plastic surgery can fix.

Attached: dr.jpg (1061x1500, 592.63K)

That page was by Jack Kirby.

There's no reason to treat Reed as an unreliable narrator,. He was on the floor when the accident happened and saw the damage, presumably he saw the torn up Doom being taken to the ambulance,

In the FF ANNUAL #2 telling, it's the omniscient caption boxes which state that Doom was mutilated.

Hospitals simply do not bandage up your entire head for a tiny cut on the chin,. Both stories have Doom bandaged up to show how extreme his injuries were,