I know this is a bold opinion, but I think The Emperor's New Groove did the Shrek thing better than Shrek did

I know this is a bold opinion, but I think The Emperor's New Groove did the Shrek thing better than Shrek did.

Attached: Grooveposter.jpg (220x326, 47.25K)

he should have been turned into a donkey

Not at all. Shrek shat all over the Disney Fairytale Musical formula, and it was a long time coming. New Groove was more of a Looney Tunes comedy, not directly parodying anything.

How is Emperor's New Groove anything like Shrek other than the fact that both of them are comedies?

They are different.

ENG started as something serious, but was rewritten into a comedy. Shrek was built to be a more blunt parody from the start. But the irony is that Shrek, even though it's a parody, is still an unironic love story and becomes more-serious towards the end. One thing that is quite freeing about ENG compared to Shrek is that Kuzco is so egotistical that he doesn't even care about romance, and they even make a joke about him being picky and not-giving-a-fuck towards girls in the first act. Way more fun then Shrek which comes to a crawling place when the romance kicks in, and reaches coma-inducing levels during the mope to sad music montage.

So in summary, a Disney film was less-serious than a Dreamworks film. And it was a good thing.

Attached: R.jpg (240x300, 12.46K)

I never drew a connection between the two until now

TENG made fun of quite a few Disney tropes too, including overly complicated and impractical villain plans, the inevitable waterfall, the villain turning into a monster in the climax, the villain falling off a high place, etc.

Shrek feels more like a parody of general Disney stereotypes, whereas TENG feels like a parody of actual Disney tropes.

Both are about a snarky hooved mammal and a fat guy in green going on a journey. And both of them have a scene where they cross a rope bridge and destroy it.

Shrek didn't shit all over Disney, it *was* Disney, except more self-aware and edgy. See

Attached: 1642069118054.png (1000x700, 201.07K)

I don't know if that is enough.

trying to work out who here is the sharktalefag

If it's not immediately obvious, he's probably not here. But you're right that this thread does have that vibe.

Just two more entries in the hoofed-mammal-and-fat-guy ropebridge genre.

>no 4th wall breaks or snarky narration, less cartoony humor, pop songs, a few movie spoofs, characters are more nuanced, romance, emotional moments get more emphasis, etc
Shrek is different from ENG

Shrek is a fairytale version of Antz, only with more pop songs and attitude. It was the second film by that studio following Antz, so they share the same "feel"

Yzma and Farquad both seek a spot of the throne that rightfully belongs to one of the heroes. Being old could be considered the female equivalent of being a short man, giving them both the whole
>They're unattractive sexually to indicate that they're bad people
Vibe

they made Farquaad a manlet so he would stand out from the cast in some way and so there was something funny about him. It's a comedy after all

i wish Shrek came out before Emperor's New Groove instead of after. It would've felt a bit more refreshing

>ENG : Tom Jones and Sting
>Shrek : Smashmouth, Rupert Holmes, Joan Fett, The Proclaimers, Eels, Jason Wade, John Cale, The Monkees, Self, Baha Men, Leslie Carter and Dana Glover
Shrek has the better soundtrack by far. This also applies to the instrumental songs (Harry Gregson-Williams/John Powell >>> John Debney)

Yzma and Kronk were infinitely better villains than Lord Farquad. They actually feel like they have and active presence and role in the film. Plus they had a better finale.

Kuzco himself is more comparable to Lord Farquad, since they both fulfill the role of being a selfish ruler who aim to to ruin a villager's property. The difference is that Kuzco also participates in the story and learns his lesson. If ENG was written like Shrek, it would be a story from Pacha's perspective.

Attached: tumblr_254fcfeb702500e5bd21fd9f5cde224b_ad40ae37_540.jpg (537x393, 28.04K)

Farquaad's only purpose is to serve as a foil to Shrek and cause everything plot related to happen (Shrek and Donkey meeting, fairytale creatures banished to swamp, Shrek rescuing Fiona)