Disney destroyed The Thief and the Cobbler, and here's why

People always talk about how Richard Williams movie was taken from him because he didn't meet the 1991 deadline because he was trying to make everything in his movie 100% perfect, but this is not true. What is more likely is this:
It's the early 1980s. The Walt Disney Company found out that a small studio in London was making this movie, this movie had very complex animation. At the time, Disney was experimenting with computers, using animations of 3d models and animating over them with hand-drawn cels, the 3d models were used to animate complex camera shots and perspective angles, one example of this is in The Little Mermaid, the large boat looks like its 3d, this is because they animated a 3d wireframe model of a large boat, and animated over it with their hand-drawn cels. This made animation a lot easier. However, Richard Williams animated in 3d, except he never used computers, and he had an 8 minute animated at the time was utterly flawless, and completed in 1982. youtube.com/watch?v=dmluf-qVuyY
Disney constantly tries to cover up how they deliberately meddled with production because they were afraid that their competition, Richard Williams Animation Studio, was going to start another animation revolution, and that they would lose their position as the #1 animation studio of all time.

Attached: King_Nod_is_confused.jpg (846x529, 144.9K)

then they go and make Aladdin...

Katzenburg is a shit

>then they go and make Aladdin...
>Katzenburg is a shit
Weren't the makers of Aladdin forced to make it in order to get permission to make Treasure planet?

I want to gut him like a fish.
Its their fault that I don't own a thief plushie, because there was no merchandise made of the movie. I know movies that done worse than ttatc at the box office, like "arctic dogs" and that movie had plushie merchandise. however this movie got little to no promotion when it was released here in 1995 because, i guess disney wanted to trick people into thinking it was a pile of shit that they shouldn't waste their money on, they wanted the movie to be ignored so they could save face.

I get you, fuck Disney and all that jazz, but the sad truth is that Disney didn't have to do anything for this movie to fail. The animation is great, but many characters are rather ugly and the masses wouldn't care for an animated movie which doesn't look pretty on the posters. The art style is this movie's biggest flaw and even if Disney fucked things up on the way, at best it'd be remembered as a well animated box office bomb and not many more people would talk about it than those who already do.

that's a lie. nobody hated the character designs.

i think it doesn't help that Weinstein company ended up with it and didn't give a shit about art quality. From their eyes they weren't making a cartoon to be something people enjoyed, just a product that'll take people's money during a low season. I know the main reason I never saw it was because it looked too much like Aladdin and you're a child and have brand loyalty ingrained in you.

Like when other animation studios took off, they had every intention to make their product be remembered and loved. Like Don Bluth movies had merch because they cared about their films. Other Fox movies had toys... but Weinstein didn't give a shit about animation, and most of Hollywood still doesn't.

No, they had to make like Hercules and only after Katzenburg left, did they get the go to make Treasure Planet. That movie might've flopped but it's still uniquely memorable for it's visuals and characters. More so then Atlantis is, imo.

Some major flaws in your logic.

First why would a major animation studio be frightened of a small studio that had spent almost 2 decades on a single project and nothing else? Even if they were certain of it's illustrious quality no company is going to feel threatend by a studio that needs that long to put out a singular product.

Second, the advent of computer generated imagery expedited the production of disney films immensly making any worries brought up completely pointless because once again Williams studio is no threat when it takes so long to produce one product.

And finally the Theif and the Cobbler was going to be a one and done for Williams which once again the question needs to be raised. Why would Disney be threatened by this film?

Not to mention you disregard the fact Disney had very little to do with the film's seizure as it was ultimately sold off to New Line Cinema a company that was not associated with Disney.

It sounds like you just hate the Disney company, and while there are many genuine reasons to hate it this is not one of them.

>First why would a major animation studio be frightened of a small studio

Maybe not fear but just pettyness, disney did factually meddle in Fergully's production one point, can't see why they wouldn't meddle in Richard's project.

>why would major animation studio do x

we're talking about disney. it's the fucking mouse. they'll do underhanded shit to make money because it's a soulless corporation. we're talking about the company that did a straight up ripoff of kimba the white lion

do you know there is a legion of women that want to fuck tack?

Attached: 1643685757431.webm (854x480, 1.93M)

We were robbed of a goddamn masterpiece.

This absolutely moggs anything that didn't has made in animation. That's why they sabatoged it

It was never going to be finished. Go find a youtuber telling the actual history not what OP is saying. He's kind of really full of shit here and not telling the whole story.

The production was a mess that was never going to be finished. It was too much ambition and maximum effort animation that was doomed to never be finished at all.

On top of that the story itself was taking a backseat to the effort in the animation. What was eventually released was what was salvaged from a mess of a production.

I'm surprised there isn't a legion of women that want to fuck Zigzag.

Ok rat

>here's this wildly untrue thing and if you don't agree you're a disney shill
There are a thousand reasons to hate Disney and you retards want to make up fake ones.

>that did a straight up ripoff of kimba the white lion
Imagine still force this meme the stories are nothing a like and just had some similar shots

This. OP is crazy. Plenty of real shit to hang on Disney's neck. This one ain't it. Williams was a decent animator but a terrible manager and businessman.

>source 1: my ass
>source 2: trust me bro
>mentions the Kimba lie
Schizo thread.
Neither the character design nor the colors are attractive to the public. The animation is amazing, but an average moviegoer does not care how much nore fluid it is than normal, it just has to have pretty characters, have bright colors and not be choppy. And "the legion of women" is a joke, it's barely a tick on the radar comapred to most movies. Even if it was 100% completed, the movie would bomb and only animation fans and a handful of lost gem seekers would care about it today. We didn't get a masterpiece of animation, but even finished it'd hardly would be a masterpiece of anything else. The character design is outdated, the colors are unappealing and public interest would be minimal.

>Ah, the balls- AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! The BALLS are GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!! My kingdom will come to DESTRUCTION and DEATH!!!

Attached: THEBALLSAREGOOOOOOOOONE.jpg (975x555, 363.42K)