The Legend of Vox Machina Ep1-3

Does some /tg/ fag wanna explain to me what I just watched and why it was made? Cause I don't get it.

Attached: vox.jpg (1000x1481, 212.3K)

It's a terrible animated series inspired by a terrible dungeons and dragons stream the gained a cult following because it's populated with voice actors who do silly voices and sound effects. Also the wolf guy from that one southern vampire show was on it, so chicks now suddenly love d&d I guess?

I know that the show is shit. I don't understand how it got an animated show.

its a shit trifecta of modern media, youtube/twitch shit with ecelebs, funded on kickstarter and sold to a shit streaming service

Thought I was the only one unimpressed

Okay, so, a bunch of Voice Actors started doing their D&D game on twitch with cameras and junk through…was it Nerdist? I don’t remember.

They got popular, expanded the D&D fanbase, and overshadowed longer running podcasts and tabletop streams, and developed a brand and a fandom. Eventually they used their industry connections to form up a pilot test animation and launch a kickstarter to develop an animated series based on their Campaign 1, but of course it had to be streamlined and hyper compressed. Their kickstarter blew up and was funded in a snap. Then Amazon rolled up and said “hey, we’ll throw more money at you and put your show on our platform,”

And they did. Never got into it, I’ve always been more of an Acquisitions Incorporated man myself. Anyway, CR got all this, has now published DM Matt Mercer’s campaign setting independently and with Wizards of the Coast as an officially D&D Ampersand bearing product, and they have an official adventure out in a month or two called Call of the Netherdeep.

I will admit to liking fan animatics about CR’s campaign 2; but at four hours an episode its a bit much for me.

Hope that helps as an explanation from a fa/tg/uy.

Honestly, if it weren't R rated I'd ,kinda, understand it, since it's very childish with adult words and blood.

It was made to cash in on the success of the D&D Twitch show. I don’t think it’s good enough to find a wider audience, though, and I think it will probably get cancelled before they get to adapt the whole story of their campaign. But I hope not, because I’m a fan.

I'm not gay but Liam O'Briens voice could turn me

It was Geek and Sundry aka Felicia Day's Nerdist. Back when Google said "we're gonna make YouTube be Netflix! Here's money for two years!"

It is as just okay as I'd like. Though I forgot and thought this was based on the Harmontown D&D segments, which got its own show with intentionally bad animation. The only good episode there was when the DM killed Harmon's wizard because he wouldn't take any of the story hints.

I had no expectations going into the show, but I am disappointed by the lack of quality Pike rule 34.

Critical Role has been around for almost 7 years. I’m sure there’s plenty of Pike smut around. I wouldn’t know because I recognize Vex is the patrician’s choice.

>VA and friends decide to make a podcast about them playing D&D
>It blows up amongst people who have somehow never heard of D&D
>Players are garbage who cheat, still don't know the rules, or get away with bullshit because they're fucking the GM
>Matt is a good VA but a shit GM
>Fanbase literally send death threats after a PC dies, so now Matt is terrified of any kind of consequences
>Whole thing is scripted to keep the revenue coming in
>Is the worst introduction to roleplaying games ever created and promotes terrible player behaviours

On one hand it's nice the hobby is getting recommendation, on the other the new players it's bringing in are pure cancer. The horror stories have to read to be believed.

Attached: 1639526095021.png (1039x534, 150.61K)

Part of the appeal of Critical Role is that it is unscripted. The fun is seeing a bunch of friends crack jokes, get excited about dice rolls and improv acting. Whenever they do scripted bits (like commercials) it is always cringe.

So now they have an entire animated show that is 100% scripted.....

I will admit its a favorite passtime of mine to read through dnd horror stories involving the awful influence that critical role has had on players. I've never had such quite a bad encounter like what I've heard, but I can't tell you how many people I've seen in person think that tabletop roleplaying meant you only ever played DND 5E.

I agree. The D&D is just an excuse for seven charismatic voice actors and Marisha to stream themselves hanging out and being a friend simulator for four hours a week. But if you take it as that, and as the halfway decent improvised fantasy story that it is, then I think anyone can enjoy it.

A lot of people stream themselves playing video games and not taking the game very seriously or being very good at it, but the stream is entertaining because of their personality. Critical Role is that for D&D.

>I’m sure there’s plenty of Pike smut around
You'd be wrong

True. But you can’t blame them for monetizing their extremely popular Twitch stream. We’d all do the same.

I’m sure that will change with the animated series reaching a whole new audience.

Did the VA's swear as much as they did in the show? Cause the show gave me major children's show vibes, if it weren't for the boobs, blood and swearing.

Definitely yes.