My first anco album, absolute kino

inb4 no one cares, an user asked me to do this review a few days ago as he was interested in the opinions of someone who hadn't heard any of their albums before.

no bad songs, really reminds me of a drugged out fleet foxes or something. these dudes really know how to write a banging melody and the instrumentation is so unique. the production is so fucking clean too jesus christ. this shit makes me happy man its just pure good fucking music. i love how the songs go through so many changes but are never boring or annoying. will definitely be listening their other albums from here. this shit along with the new bc,nr is the cure for covid man.

also is that a sample of pulk pull by radiohead i hear at the start of prester john?

Attached: 4F2E5F8F-4915-4341-84C4-03D29C161048_4_5005_c.jpg (300x300, 51.4K)

user. You know they made wayyyy better stuff than this. Their entire 2000s output mogs this.

used to love AnCo but seeing them rip-off the Chumbawumbas like this is disgusting

so i've heard. can't wait to hear it all

dive deeper with feels next, then strawberry jam, water curses EP, mpp, and fall be kind

also, glad you like the album! the boys are back

hey i remember you user, i sent you that chart!!!
glad you enjoyed it, hope you enjoy getting into their discography since it’s incredibly varied and sonically different with each release. was waiting for this post :)

thanks user, that sounds like a good listening order as its chronological. however, you left out sung tongs which i've heard is very good.. is it not as good as the others you mentioned?

ha ha hello! i have that chart saved :) glad you were able to find my post.. did you enjoy the new album?

based
it's acoustic. you should listen to all studio albums, you can probably skip 2001-2003 on first listen

Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished (2000) (as Avey Tare and Panda Bear)
Danse Manatee (2001) (as Avey Tare, Panda Bear and Geologist)
Campfire Songs (2003) (as Campfire Songs)
Here Comes the Indian (2003) (also known as Ark)
Sung Tongs (2004)
Feels (2005)
Strawberry Jam (2007)
Merriweather Post Pavilion (2009)
Centipede Hz (2012)
Painting With (2016)
Time Skiffs (2022)

Listened to their entire discography yesterday, and in terms of production and song writing even, I think this may top MPP honestly. MPPs production was way less dynamic - felt squashed, surprisingly enough. This really does have a ton of headroom and air compared to anything else they have done, it's like you're in a venue with them and I love it.

oh absolutely, and it’s the same with me basically, love every track and i know they’ll grow on me even more. definitely somewhere in my top 5 and a good introduction to the band honestly since it feels like a mix of a lot of their more accessible releases

Sung Tongs is their best one.

You really cant go wrong with HOW you explore their discography, but the run of 4 albums and 3-4 EPs from Sung Tongs to MPP is best experienced chronologically, to see the evolution.

there’s totally meant to be a more stripped back live feel to it and i absolutely love it. different vibe in the best way. hard to imagine this was remotely recorded, given how jam band-esque skiffs is

oh wow thanks man, didn't know they changed the name of the band a few times at the start. to be honest i really really love time skiffs so i think i might just listen to everything in order, i really enjoy doing that with artists as it shows me their evolution, but i have to really enjoy one of their albums first

>Painting With is bad because...well because it just is, ok?

Attached: 1638124850365.jpg (352x477, 118.49K)

nice man, i've listened to it 3 times in a row this evening (had already listened twice before) .. keeps getting better with every listen

>this was remotely recorded
holy shit

question for those itt —how many of you had NOT heard any bootlegs/live recordings before hearing skiffs, and what did you think on your first listen?

i only heard prester john bootleg, which i ADORED. i'm used to the studio version now. i saw them at pitchfork this year and heard some new tracks that i didn't recognize but enjoyed. absolutely love the album. i listened to the car keys pitchfork audio and it sucks the little synth battle between deak and geo wasn't on the record, but it's still great and you get used to it.

I love Painting With. So many great little diddies and rhythmic moments on there, especially the counter-melody on GoldenGal that comes in over the chorus with that springy boingy synth lower in the mix. Fucking infectious.

"We Go Back" sounds like Majora's Mask Deku Palace soundtrack.

I know AnCo have been manipulating vocals for decades, but that little autotuned vocal thing is definitely a nod to hyperpop