Pretty good album, I like most songs on it a lot...

Pretty good album, I like most songs on it a lot. People love to hate on anything glam metal but I find good shit within it.

Attached: cinderella.jpg (355x355, 36.88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/G-Tt-EhaaQw
youtube.com/watch?v=sGLquI7ONUc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtu.be/G-Tt-EhaaQw

>glam metal
That's a fake name for hair metal millennials invented to make hair bands seem gay. Fuck 'em. They don't know what they're missing.
youtube.com/watch?v=sGLquI7ONUc

Attached: chad-hair-metal-enjoyer.png (1024x429, 295.02K)

I never caredc for Keifer's voice, but they're one of the bands who had to go glam to get signed and get attention - had they been around in other eras, they'd still have made noise, because the talent was there.

They were a two-labum career band, though, like a lot of them.

>That's a fake name for hair metal millennials invented to make hair bands seem gay. Fuck 'em. They don't know what they're missing.
You know "hair metal" was an insult though right? It just became what most people call it but it was intended to be derogatory. "Glam metal" actually makes sense as a genre because it basically started as bands who were influenced by both heavy metal and glam rock.

Either way, honestly you had many different sounding types of bands all under the umbrella (Poison doesn't sound like WASP etc) but "glam metal" makes sense musically if you're going to treat it as a genre. You post Racer X (based) which is actually a good example of how some bands got lumped in just because, the only reason they'd be lumped in as "glam" or "hair" is cause of how they looked, not so much their music which just sounds like standard 80's heavy metal, they sound more Priest influenced than anything else.

The ceiling for hair metal was so high. The good shit is real good, but goddamn the floor is below sea level

>the only reason they'd be lumped in as "glam" or "hair" is cause of how they looked
I vehemently disagree, bands like WASP, Cinderella, London, Racer X, Dokken, even Poison all came up out of the same scene. That's why they get lumped in together. In Racer X's case alone, Scott Travis from the second album went on to Priest, Jeff Martin went on to play drums in Badlands with Jake E Lee, Greg Chaisson (formerly of Keel/Steeler) and Ray Gillen. Badlands was one of the most run of the mill Zeppelin inspired hair/glam bands of the late 80's. And Paul Gilbert went onto Mr. Big. One of the schlockiest bands of the late 80's/early 90's.

I don't view glam/hair/whatever you wanna call it as a rigidly defined genre like Soiboy retards do. I view it as a diverse scene like the NWOBHM with some bands that are melodic, some that are straight power metal, some that are borderline AOR, some that are poppy, and some that are full blown speed metal.

>not all bands in any given genre sound identical
wow, what a hot take. mindblowing stuff

At their best, Cinderella was objectively apex hair metal. Keifer one of the best voices in rock n roll. Not quite enough really good songs to dominate, but the bluesy vibe on album tracks works well. I put them 2nd only to Motley Crue in hair metal, and then only because Crue has significantly more bangers.

Keifer was sick. They never really had a HUGE HUGE transcending hit though. I really like Night Songs, Nobody’s Fool, Nothin’ For Nothin’, Somebody Save Me, Push Push, Gypsy Road, and If You Don’t Like It.

>Badlands was one of the most run of the mill Zeppelin inspired hair/glam bands of the late 80's.

I'll fight you pussy

>I vehemently disagree, bands like WASP, Cinderella, London, Racer X, Dokken, even Poison all came up out of the same scene.

Nope. Not even remotely accurate. Was there. London and WASP were the generation before Motley, who were the generation before the hair bands. WASP formed in '82, London started in '78. By the time the hair metal scene was going hard, they were falling apart, for the second time. WASP was part of the scene that spawned Quiet Riot and eventually Motley.

Dokken were never part of the club scene, they were in Germany before making Back For The Attack, and as soon as they were done with that, they were on the road. The lineup that made Breaking The Chains started in '81 or '82, except for the bassist. They were on MTV in the early 80's with Breakin The Chains.

Cinderella were a Philly band, who didn't connect with the club scene in Hollywood until they were already a hit - they were part of the Bon Jovi crowd on the east coast.

Racer X and Poison are the only "hair bands" that came out of the Hollywood scene in the late 80's. All the others you named were already established and touring, and at most would hang at Cathouse when they were off the road, with the exception of London who were on their last legs when the scene that spawned Poison and Warrant was a thing. Racer X was barely a hair band, they were mostly popular with the other GIT faggots who cared about shredding, they weren't pulling girls to their shows like Poison or Warrant or GnR were.

Hair metal was a trend that was happening all over the country, but you had to move to LA to get signed, so they all did. There were bands in LA, SF, NYC, Boston, etc that were doing the makeup and hair thing, at the same time.

But you named bands that were already established and who came from other parts of the country already established in their style and look, but hey, you tried.

hey dude
do you remember anyone calling those bands "hair metal" back then?
I specifically remember my guitarist calling those bands "hair farmers" which isn't too off from "hair metal"
Just wondering, because it seems like some people have been trying to re-write history about this subject. Sebastian Bach and Eddie Trunk come to mind among others.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 12.18.33 AM.png (554x666, 853.24K)

>I don't view glam/hair/whatever you wanna call it as a rigidly defined genre like Soiboy retards do. I view it as a diverse scene like the NWOBHM with some bands that are melodic, some that are straight power metal, some that are borderline AOR, some that are poppy, and some that are full blown speed metal.
It's not quite as rigid as some metal genres and I totally agree it's got diverse types of bands under its belt, the NWOBHM is a decent comparison, but that being said I still think there were some bands who had the image but musically were not under its belt at all. Racer X to me is one of those bands, their music is just pure shreddy heavy metal to my ears despite how the band looked...on the flipside, a non metal band who gets labeled "hair metal" who isn't at all is Hanoi Rocks, there is almost no metal element in their music, they are glam rock and even lean more punky at times no matter if they were friendly with the glam metal scene and influenced some of it with their fashion

I can consider Motley Crue, WASP, Twisted Sister, Cinderella, Dokken etc to be a diverse bunch of bands who all are glam metal or hair metal, but to me personally Racer X does not fit the bill even if they had big 80s hairdos.

Also since you mention the NWOBHM, I'd be interested to know what someone with your views considers Def Leppard, a band who is from the NWOBHM but many people discount them, also a band many claim is glam/hair band even though they never even sported the glam style and just shared an emphasis on hooky anthems like many of those bands did

Attached: hanoirockstwo.jpg (500x500, 70.46K)

different user, but i never understood the connection with def leppard and nwobhm.
Even their first album wasnt all that nwobhm-ish to me. It sounded nothing like Saxon, Priest, Maiden. They were hook-y/pop-y from the get go. I'm a huge fan of leppard btw.

>tfw i will never write a song as good as bringing on the heartbreak

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 1.07.22 AM.png (693x700, 666.42K)

Glam metal is the real term, hair metal is the fake term. It was called glam metal for being seen as a heavier extension of the glam rock bands of the 1970’s

It's cause they came out of that scene, but they sounded different from most other bands who did...like you said more of a poppy emphasis. That's why I asked that user about it, since they seem to be in favor of scenes rather then style when it comes to these labels. Really there's no right answer I guess but it's interesting.

Venom was also a band who came out of the NWOBHM but stylistically are so different many people disregard it, it all comes down to whether you view NWOBHM as more of a scene/a specific time and place or more of an actual genre

Was "Poodle rock"not a thing in Ameristan? That's waht we called it in the German speaking world. Pudelrock.

And nobody hates on Night Songs

Never heard that before as an American, funny though

Cinderella, Dokken and WASP are probably the most underrated of the glam bands, even though Blackie Lawless was a complete attention whore

I'm trying to remember what the "official" terminology was over here, say by radio djs... I don't think it was glam. Hardrock neither, that was still associated with 70s bikers and denim. Probably simply Heavy Metal for the harder edged stuff and falling back on unspecified "rock" for the power balladeering.