Can we have a 90s Post-Hardcore thread? I'm digging this very nice album a lot

Can we have a 90s Post-Hardcore thread? I'm digging this very nice album a lot.

Attached: 2015733.jpg (500x496, 236.14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c3zGZafJUzI
youtube.com/watch?v=i6QNzg6I-yk
youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GMHPjCNmI
youtube.com/watch?v=u4DRZPqlOdw
youtu.be/yzBUYzk-PDQ
youtu.be/WD-bHtd6keo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Attached: 1627918195647.jpg (500x500, 55.74K)

Attached: 1617587680797.jpg (599x600, 90.46K)

Attached: 1612733328460.jpg (768x768, 107.75K)

Attached: 1643963619671.jpg (500x488, 18.28K)

Attached: 1622979405547.jpg (1500x1500, 1.35M)

90's post-hardcore was the peak of angst-ridden music

>post hardcore
>skramz
>emoviolence
here peak of emotional rock music

Attached: Cover.jpg (1200x1200, 466.02K)

I will never stop shilling this album. This shit is great, and I highly encourage everyone ITT to listen to it

youtube.com/watch?v=c3zGZafJUzI

Attached: 1567458656442.png (477x869, 507.78K)

The thing I've grown to appreciate about post-hardcore as a genre is its expression of angst in abstract terms. It doesn't beat you over the head with political messages like a lot of hardcore punk. It's a lot of kids who are scared of the world and trying to find their place expressing their vague fears, and I can relate to that.

I've never liked emoviolence and most of skramz aged poorly after the "le real emo" phase but at least the 90's stuff is kinda alright (portraits of past, shotmaker, yaphet kotto, etc.)
I still like emocore though, and the 90's era was kinda interesting, indian summer, maximillian colby and hoover are all fun bands, and moss icon released their best material on that era

This album came out in 2001 and it's crazy how different it sounds to the post-hardcore of the 90s. And I know this is a 90s PHC thread, so I wanted to ask:

What happened in the 90s to give birth to such a radically different sound in PHC? This song:
youtube.com/watch?v=i6QNzg6I-yk
Sounds so drastically different from this song:
youtube.com/watch?v=Z4GMHPjCNmI

Is the production just different? Is it becaue Envy has more post-rock in its sound than Lync?

Attached: Envy - All The Footprints You've Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead.jpg (640x640, 128.82K)

dude kill yourself

thanks for introducing me to this. got anything similar?

I agree with the sentiment but I don't think that there is something automatically wrong about the politic themes of hardcore punk, in fact some bands like black flag could use it as a way of empowerment, and they even have songs that prove they didn't take those things way too seriously (like tv party), I've never feel like it was executed on an obnoxious way most of the time
but coming back to post-hardcore, I certainly like the modesty of the tone of at least this era, some bands can get emotional but never at the point of being melodramatic or dishonest, which is a shame that stopped being the case after the 2000's where bands even became a meme for that
I also like that the genre has a moderate variety of themes, some big black and unwound songs are more about boredom, husker du with zen arcade had a "coming of age" concept, and bands like fugazi even if they can get political or have anti consumerism themes like regular punk bands, the execution of their lyrics is vastly different

?
nothing wrong with political messages in music, it's just not my taste. i could've worded that better.
>bands like fugazi even if they can get political or have anti consumerism themes like regular punk bands, the execution of their lyrics is vastly different
I love the progression of Fugazi and how both their lyrics and their grooves became looser and more abstract over time.

Highly recommend you check out Lungfish
youtube.com/watch?v=u4DRZPqlOdw

Attached: 1632073104804.jpg (846x960, 87.71K)

I just shilled a later PoH album in a chart thread. They and Jamie's other group at the time Harriet The Spy are really fun.
Well, the last HtS record wasn't very good, IMO.

This is where I'm admittedly filtered. I like Ten Spot a lot, though.

I never thought about this one. Listening now. The lineup and recording time gives me hope. Mark Robinson flew through a lot of different styles.

Maybe not a popular sound, but I'm really digging this right now. Reminds me of My Dad Is Dead with more complex, jazzy progressions--maybe like Red Medicine era Fugazi? Anyway, I'm really curious about this sound if anyone knows more stuff that sounds like this. I know the bassist went on to Spatula, which has somewhat similarly fun stuff.
youtu.be/yzBUYzk-PDQ

Attached: blue chair.jpg (599x307, 61.84K)

the singer on that Blue Chair record kinda sounds like Geoff Rickly from Thursday lol
digging the sound on it

Listen to this!
youtu.be/WD-bHtd6keo

>Listening now
what did you think