Ever think traditional folk music could make a real comeback like it did back in the 50's and 60's?

Ever think traditional folk music could make a real comeback like it did back in the 50's and 60's?

Attached: guthrie.jpg (2048x1536, 477.99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g&ab_channel=MickConnell
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yea

No. It'd be seen as white supremacy as some (This Land is Your Land has been attacked by some wokes even) and it'd be too boring for young'uns who like their bass.

Like, yes, there might be a scene but it wouldn't be in the mainstream in the same way. At most something watered down to the point of being Ed Sheeran would be the best to get actual traction.

folk is whatever is made with folk available means. currently that is cellphone and laptop music apps.

No, someone tries every 5 or ten years.

trad being the word you left out

because "trad" has no meaning in a running timeline. what you want is some anachronistic revival, which is yikes.

its buttrock iteration: father john misty, fleet foxes

Which is what the folk revival of the 50s and 60s was. You know they were singing songs from the Civil War and before? And every book I've read on the folk revival has made a point of saying that things like The Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers and Blind Willie Johnson would've sounded just as old to a teenager in that time period as it does to us.

>sounded just as old to a teenager in that time period as it does to us
lol there's a good reason why that dinosaur shit went out the window as soon a rock came along

nah, the anachronistic revival of irish trad with like Andy Irvine, Planxty, Dubliners, that kindoff thing was larping, but it was fascinating larping

Paul Brady's famous rendition of "Aurthur McBride" was based on a poem he got from the american library of congress, which is wild

youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g&ab_channel=MickConnell

"white supremacy as some"

I think there's going to be backlash to phones and screens shattering attention spans and dopamine cycles

a return to tradition, people vibing without their phone in a folk club and just chilling, as a subtle reaction to the woke thing could totally be a thing

A new etiquette emerging about optimal internet access, combined with a focus on in real life community could totally be a thing

i sometimes wonder what would happen if there were a neofolk revival and it went mainstream. lots of people getting canceled then

God i hope not

Uh, yeah, sure, why not?
It's a free country...

Yeah i think it could desu. There was a hint of it with that indie folk shit like the lumineers, mumford and sons, etc being huge in the early 10s and more recently the back to nature cottagecore aesthetic movement

and now rock is even more dead than folk on the charts

correct and neither one is ever coming back

There's plenty of good, new trad out there.

Yeah maybe bur I wouldn't be folk as dylan knows it for sure. I mean It would be something like Weyes Blood or Mazzy Star I think, more than folk acoustic chamber pop or dreamy folky music with electronic instrumentations like Sigur Ros. People won't be gathering around two dudes with an acoustic guitar and a microphone for two hours nowadays not with the aforementioned shortened attetion span lol. Joni Mitchel isn't getting a comeback anytime soon

yeah and I love it
everything is larping fundamentally and that's fine cause we humans need culture

my point is like contemporary north american "folk" could totally emerge as an anti-outrage, anti-insta sort of relaxed good time music, and I hope the culture do be swingin that way