Imagine watching MTV in 1997. Within the span of a few months, the entire channel goes from Soundgarden, Notorious B.I...

Imagine watching MTV in 1997. Within the span of a few months, the entire channel goes from Soundgarden, Notorious B.I.G., Oasis, and Kurt Loder to Limp Bizkit, Puff Daddy, Backstreet Boys, and Carson Daly.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (972x720, 81.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6S76DKzEg9Q
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

could you elaborate that turning point?

The beginning of the end is whenever the real world premiered

The economy was booming in the late 90s, millennials were entering high schools, and gen xers were leaving the target demographic for MTV, so music shifted from "woe is me" to poppier, more manufactured stuff.

that's when the 5th version of the Matrix went online

The first version went online in 1967, correct?

woah it went from some shitty 90s pop artists to a different group of shitty 90s pop artists... dont tell me you genuinely think one of those groups has more artistic integrity than the other

Rnb was the genre for the duration of the 90s. Smells Like Teen Spirit wasn't even in the top 30 year end hits of 1992. There was a push for rock bands in the US at the start of the 90s but because they got consistently outperformed by Rnb acts it resulted in this.

its funny how the music press (journalists, critics...) try to build the narrative of nevermind as a game changer. its an exaggeration

Imagine MTV now with half naked boys
youtube.com/watch?v=6S76DKzEg9Q

Yeah, the truth is that it's more popular now than it was at the time of its release.

>There was a push for rock bands in the US at the start of the 90s but because they got consistently outperformed by Rnb acts it resulted in this
There was not any R&B act that played in front of 1 million people like Rock In Moscow.

To executives in the industry and radio programmers all that matters is the number of plays and sales. I'm sure that Michael Jackson could have gotten that crowd if he wanted to.

90s R&B was pretty bleh anyway and most of it didn't have any hooks. there were tons of those songs on the Billboard back then but nobody remembers any of them because they were so bland.

there was a glut of it on the charts due to the weakness of white pop at that time. rock doesn't matter here because it rarely made top 40 anyway. pop from 92 to 97 was pretty poor.

Yet somehow they were still better than Billie Eilish.

i dont mind some of the slow jams of that era. they can sound good if youre stoned or fucking some girl

I don't have to imagine, I was there. I was thinking about the other day how MTV didn't even play full 3 minute songs a lot of the time on those shows, they would just cut them off short at 2 minutes to fit more ads and talking in.

Still it was the last time R&B had any artistic integrity. That died in the 2000s and then eventually all that remained was WAP.

can we just admit it now that women's taste in music is why we're in this state

You guys weren't kidding, I looked up the Billboard 100 for '93 and it's more dismal than I expected. Not just the RnB and novelty rap hits, but the rock showings are pretty poor as well.

The mid-90s was not a good period for chart hits and for some time there were no pop acts of significance outside Mariah Carey. There was also loads of shitty adult contemporary ballads made by dadrockers like Elton John and Rod Stewart.