Why THE FUCK would you want to learn music theory? Its just math and math is for nerds lol

Why THE FUCK would you want to learn music theory? Its just math and math is for nerds lol

Attached: ppbs.jpg (597x559, 104.87K)

Based take, I'm doing my thing by ear

It's good to learn your basics and then just go from there. It's not necessary but when you're composing, particularly writing more complicated chords, it's like a mental cheat sheet that makes certain things faster. It doesn't make you better at composing it just makes you faster which is helpful when ideas are so abstract and elusive. The only time you need to be autistic about theory is when you play in professional orchestra and you are regularly tasked to play brand new music on the fly.

This. The basics help the process a lot.

Music theory is a lot like love
Its all a feeling
And it fills the room, from the floor to the ceiling

or hinder you from ever doing anything, depends on the individual

Tell me some interesting method or aspect of music theory I'm so fucking bored

Do not devalue the importance of learning the fundamentals
It's why we get so much bad art

Most of your favorite bands don't know shit about music theory. Just play. Theory is for explaining, not creating.

dunno i just know that the notes are cdefgab that's it. you literally can look up any progression and then just add some extra notes

FUCKING MAGNETS

only idiots say this not even joking slightly
It's like when people say the SSRIs will stop them from being themselves and then they continue to cut themselves and pull out their hair yeah okay dickhead

>Why THE FUCK would you want to learn music theory?
To analyze music.
>Its just math
Not really, it's much more than that i.e. you can analyze stuff like song structure and shit
Lame thread, not even good bait

Well he's partially right. If you spend time on learning theory but you get nothing out of it then it might actually hinder you, if you're a more intuitive composer

>It's like when people say the SSRIs will stop them from being themselves and then they continue to cut themselves and pull out their hair yeah okay dickhead
This but unironically (and for antipsychotics). Never taking the zombie meds. They misdiagnosed me on a hunch. Psychiatry is fucked up.

David Bennett Piano is enough theory study for me, thanks.

just play your own way, but don't say this out loud. keep people in suspense. don't just outright tell them you're a retarded ape.

confirmation bias
how about this take: not learning theory, music history, honing you craft, ect. and just "going with it" is lazy and your fallback is "muh authenticity" It's no wonder every musician you try to work with is a lazy POS they don't apply themselves

I wasn't even addressing that point. I agree that every artist knows theory and most of them are proficient in at least one instrument to help ease of composition.

>study theory intensly
>use it to make advanced compositions
>deny any knowledge and imply it's all natural talent, you just 'feel the music'

D E V I L I S H

t. Paul M'Charmley

>math is for nerds
Just admit you're too stupid to understand it
t. Math grad student

Attached: 1643687759713.jpg (679x522, 89.48K)