Is flac really better than mp3?

Is flac really better than mp3?

Attached: ugh.png (543x439, 290.57K)

only if you're using high end audio equipment. it'll sound the same if you're just playing it through some pc speakers

lies
you don't need anything great just some half decent headphones, p much anything that isn't wireless is gonna be good enough

I don't see anything

depends what you mean by better. You won't be able to tell the difference between MP3 (320kbps that is) and FLAC just by listening, but hearing the difference right now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity.
You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media. I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.

You really need to listen for yourself
I just switched to a really high audio quality compared to what I'd been using for the last few months and heard rhythmic breathing in a spot of a song where I thought was just quiet bc it's low in the mix and got compressed to hell, happened to me once before with some talking in the background of a song. I love hearing lip smacks and foot shuffles and stuff on live recordings, really crisp electronic stuff etc, I really don't understand how so many music lovers settle for listening to music from YouTube or Spotify. Listen to something you're really really familiar with in CD quality or better and you'll hear new shit guaranteed

how can files degrade? not memeing ive never heard of this

Attached: 1643015194098.jpg (763x437, 36.73K)

it's about the compression. I don't know the details, but all files degrade over time as your hard drive works and files get moved around. All the bytes can't be moved and maintained perfectly. But lossless compression of FLAC is what makes the difference. It'll lose some bitrate, but very little.
Meanwhile MP3s (older, lossy technology) simply doesn't stand the test of time very well, especially if the files are being moved around, or the hard drive is stored improperly. You see similar stuff with artifacting of older jpg images. If you look at memes from the 2000s, the quality is terrible. It didn't look like that at the time, unfortunately digital files don't last forever.

this is super interesting gonna go dive down this rabbit hole thanks

don't feel stupid
I just learned recently that most people don't know this and I probably only do bc of the flac thing from years ago

Attached: 1620836417400.gif (238x178, 1.64M)

Is this the left-handed smokeshifter thread?

I have tested this and on some songs I could notice a difference in the breadth of sound staging and depth of audio imaging.

But I think it depends on the production of that song. On many it's so flat and bad you won't notice anything.

I think I tested on Birdie Nam Nam's Goin' In song. I could definitely tell the flac was slightly better in staging.
And I don't even have high-end equipment, I used some mediocre headphones. I imagine you can notice more with better equipment.

Forgot to add. In most cases it probably doesn't matter, the difference can be very subtle.
Flac would just be better for archiving and editing.

Also FLAC can support really high audio resolutions, the limit is your hardware and drivers. My audio interface supports up to 192kHz audio resolution. While MP3 only supports up to 48kHz.
But this is autism, in most cases you won't notice and MP3 @320kbps and 48kHz are fine for regular equipment.

Only if you're a faggot, retard, homosexual, nigger, chink, or jew

abx results or gtfo

Retarded. One byte flip can and will corrupt a file.

Based

I've done side by sides on my iPhone with cheap noise cancelling earbuds and I could hear a difference in some of the albums I tried (not all of them).

Turn on the Bright Lights has better sounding drums and you can hear more twang in the bass guitar.

Menos el Eso is similar, but the drums sound more alive and you can 'feel' the pulsing of the bass drum more.

Young Machetes, I really can't tell the difference.

YMMV, but the ones I've tried mostly sounded better in the bass and drums and the guitar and vocals basically sounded the same to me.

>checks list
damn, I'm on there

lmao i cant believe they actually believed you