Muh negative harmony

>muh negative harmony

Attached: Jacob-Collier.jpg (1000x563, 127.11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e2xpxeRD17E
youtube.com/watch?v=AzQKID8AUHM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dXf1nUVdVuM
youtu.be/V9ni06SSZSY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eHM6cYQls6g
youtube.com/watch?v=5Utjb6FOHdM
youtube.com/watch?v=zua831utwMM
youtube.com/watch?v=AwL95c4PlDs
youtube.com/watch?v=uUIyBxZN_uM
youtube.com/watch?v=dgVDQU8CuPE
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbxinvLONE
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mu65m__QXws
m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4MB5k-DSwc
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM
ilevens.bandcamp.com/album/transmitter
sevish.bandcamp.com/album/formless-shadows
acreil.bandcamp.com/album/aleatoric-aubades
youtu.be/ZXIApugIuqk
youtu.be/RIZzsx52sPI
youtube.com/watch?v=njAuEGRthuw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

mark my words, he'll produce good music starting in the year 2030 and you'll all be sorry

The only reason people dislike this guy is because they don't grasp what he's doing

Good thing Herbie graspes it.
youtube.com/watch?v=e2xpxeRD17E

>The only reason people dislike this guy is because they don't grasp what he's doing
link a song he's made you think is good

this isn't like an insult. I'm genuinely curious, because I've only heard a few things

his music literally sounds like The Wiggles

Holy crap, it's negative harmony!!!

And just like them, he's an amazing showman
youtube.com/watch?v=AzQKID8AUHM

I don't think that's the only reason and I've only seen pictures of him

What's his fucking problem? Why can't he write one good song?

Because he can write 7 good songs and package them into 1 god-tier song. Your favorite artist can't do that.

His knowledge and enthusiasm are truly commendable. I hope he'll come around to producing music you can listen to. A musical theorist's musician.

I understand exactly what this anorexic little sperg is doing: he's like a fucking musical dementor in his ability to succ the SOVL out of songs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=dXf1nUVdVuM

Attached: 920490e1f64c8043940e153072999d41.jpg (710x710, 371.65K)

what a terrible voice christ.

while you cope and seethe and dilate on your shitty little instruments, Jacob Collier is playing Clash Royale with Herbie fucking Hancock.

exhausting

Quite the opposite actually. He has perfect pitch. The vocals are objectively superior to the Beatles original. Secondly, his voice possesses a prodigiously soulful calm, a quality you virtually never hear until the singer is well past their prime.

good one

He sounds exactly like someone putting on a "posh boy" voice. It has that weird fullness.

His music is even more boring and soulless than Radiohead.

how far up your ass do you have to be to pretend to enjoy hearing this

Attached: 1637490495837.png (1046x752, 454.74K)

Genuinely liking music is all that's required.

irrelevant for almost 4+ decades but ok

Attached: supremeannoyance.gif (220x220, 119.56K)

Nah, it's just because you suck shit.

I'm a jazz musician with perfect pitch and I dislike him actively. I don't deny that he's incredibly talented and capable and has a greater understanding than I do. But the majority of people that listen to him are just sucking his dick and pretending they can understand the meme harmony and rhythm stuff he does. I think his music is tasteless and bland, to further his narcissistic ends

jesusfuckingchrist

This
What a faggot. He's pretty ugly and annoying

>to further his narcissistic ends
what gave you that impression?
also
>The title Djesse, which is pronounced with a silent D (/ˈdʒɛsi/), is a reference to Collier's own initials.

Attached: InShot_20220129_192128885.jpg (1920x1920, 3.01M)

when he doesn't sing or attempt to Funk, he delivers bearable Art pop in the level of Of Montreal or Flaming Lips; I can see his potential once he'll get older and state to pace out his energy in calmer songs
but right now, it's entirely grotesque. And i refuse to believer that people enjoy him unironically

jesus christ, what the fuck is this. What a massacre of a "cover"
His original music just... sucks. like it has no personality or soul. Its borders on the line of barely sounding like music for me

and his quirky collaborator dodie DOES NOT improve this cover lmao
youtu.be/V9ni06SSZSY

People do enjoy him unironically. It's the same audience that drools over "music youtubers." Berklee grads playing jazz fusion with an excess of polish. Flawless recording, flawless changes. Their professors would certainly award them top marks.

>Djesse is a planned collection of four volumes which was announced 29 October 2018.[11][12] Each record represents a different part of the day, with the first record describing daybreak.[10]

>Everywhere At The End Of Time: *exists*
>Jacob Collier: *picrel*

Attached: free.jpg (800x450, 156.89K)

yeah but it has no soul? soul/kino is what makes things good. A song could be just OK in its recording quality, or not do much theory wise and be simple. Yet with soul, none of that matters. A lack of soul in a song makes it completely forgettable and ignorable

>His original music just... sucks.
exactly, like a dementor!
>like it has no personality or soul.
also, like a dementor
>and his quirky collaborator dodie DOES NOT improve this cover lmao
that video would be considerably more tolerable if her date was Mandingo or Shane Diesel or Dredd or Jason Love or some such.

Attached: CeRaSs4WQAQxkSc.jpg (900x1200, 248.71K)

God, that's such a hideous fucking groan the audience gives.

>Flawless recording, flawless changes.
>A lack of soul in a song makes it completely forgettable and ignorable

Flaws are what give pieces of art SOVL, which is to say, enduring personality and the capacity for forming with them an intimate and memorable connection. For example, this indie-famous album is amateurish asf in its design and production, the singer can barely sing and the composer uses the same structure in almost every song and it sounds like it was legit recorded in someones garden shed or a public bathroom, but in spite of these flaws, or maybe rather because of them, the work endears itself to the listener all the more firmly and imparts upon them a fraction of its own transcendant sense of SOVL

also, more dodie, bc even though her music is terrible i'd pay to see her getting destroyed on dickdrainerz, blackedraw, etc.

Attached: ffcw9hjz3t131.jpg (1440x2960, 749.2K)

This

I hate him because he takes interesting ideas and makes stupid, boring music with them.

>makes every vocal harmony sound like a late 90s sega arcade game
why

Just awful

He is the only musician ever to use microtonality and really complex harmony without sounding like absolute shit.

His songs sound like Christmas specials and usually aren't my type of thing, but at least it doesn't sound like the shit fart sniffing bullcrap like Ligetti or those modern composers. That kind of shit that is only good because it's "hard to understand".

This is exactly the type of shit pseuds in this board will claim to like just because it's hard to digest:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Utjb6FOHdM

In the mean time a song like this makes this board seethe because they would like to pretend they can make something like this themselves, when it's absolutely beyond impossible for any of them to even remotely approach:

youtube.com/watch?v=zua831utwMM

And it sounds nice and simple for someone completely uneducated.
It's not necessary to like Jacob's music to realize that he is on a completely different level of understanding when it comes to this shit. I don't really like his shit but I think anyone claiming he is not good or "easy" is full of shit themselves and I'd love to see what they listen to or write themselves, in order to have those opinions.

Attached: superhypermegametalydian.jpg (221x229, 6.99K)

>" Whatever sauce you put around the melody is a matter of taste. What is important is the melodic line." - Maurice Ravel

dude Berklee grads do better shit than that

don't care, his music is souless. your example only cements how forgettable it is

>take an already existing catchy melody
>cover it
>act as if you made something new
his only "good" stuff are just covers of already good songs lol

>He is the only musician ever to use microtonality and really complex harmony without sounding like absolute shit.
lol no

All and any other interesting microtonal music I've heard is folk music from the east which almost by definition doesn't use harmony in the sense we understand in the west.
The composers from the west that try to use microtonality all sound like absolute shit to me. I'm more than curious to see what examples you have of the contrary.
Don't get me wrong, I prefer listening to arabic, indian, turkish music than jacob collier, but none of those really use microtonal harmony the way he does.
It's academic music, I'm not sure what you wanted. I still prefer listening to him than half the shit Adam Neely or those other Berklee grads typically do. At some point after they learn so much their songs feel more like reading a scientific paper than listening to music, but it doesn't matter. To me the fact that collier's music sounds approachable even when he is doing complicated shit (like modulating to a microtonal key) is already interesting in its own right. I never crave listening to his music and don't listen to him on a daily basis, but calling him a bad musician or shit like this is just cope.

He's autistic enough to effortlessly grasp complex musical concepts but too autistic to understand style or aesthetic

>Adam Neely
i dont like him much either, but his music is better then jacob by a lot I'd say.

>DUDE POLY-RHYTHMS LMAO
Like, yeah, cool bro. They still sound like shit. Just because you learned how to autistically count fractions in your head it doesn't make you cool.
Incidentally probably Adam's most famous song is also a jazz-y cover of a pop hit.

summed it up perfectly lmao

this is the thing though. most people with a good musical education can reharmonize the flintstones theme. There's books on how to do this kind of thing, and classes you can take to specialize in harmony if you study at a postgrad level. It takes brains to do but it's a learned skill, like learning to code. Writing the Flintstones theme from scratch is a whole other ballpark. To write a melody so recognizable and iconic that someone can change all the chords and arrangement and you'll still know exactly what it is is a deeper and richer skill to have. Hoyt curtin who wrote that theme tune was a trained and skilled composer, he could have loaded the original flintstones theme up with crazy exotic harmonies if he'd wanted to, but he didn't. Did collier improve the theme by doing that to it? Or did he just flex his knowledge whilst piggybacking on someone else's songwriting?

it's souless user, if something has no soul there's no point to it, especially in music.

eeh, I still think it's better then jacob's shit lol

>The composers from the west that try to use microtonality all sound like absolute shit to me.
First, it's inevitably a matter of taste. Anyone doing anything with microtonality is going to be doing some kind of progressive or experimental music. But most of it definitely isn't dissonant for its own sake. You need to get used to hearing it.
But these are pretty great
youtube.com/watch?v=AwL95c4PlDs
youtube.com/watch?v=uUIyBxZN_uM
youtube.com/watch?v=dgVDQU8CuPE
Wendy Carlos also

God I wish Zappa was still alive so he could eviscerate this little shit. He writes a song about STDs with the same level of musicianship and it's infinitely catchier

youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbxinvLONE

Attached: 1515101367571.jpg (500x506, 55.98K)

>this

thread over, pack up boys

>In the mean time a song like this makes this board seethe because they would like to pretend they can make something like this themselves, when it's absolutely beyond impossible for any of them to even remotely approach
I agree that that snippet in particular sounds great, but it's not "absolutely beyond impossible"... give me an hour and I could transcribe the whole thing for you. Give it to some Berklee wunderkind who's actually devoted his life to music like Collier did and you'd have it in fifteen minutes or so.
You have to realize that success in the ability to embellish existing works with harmonic and sometimes even rhythmic "color" doesn't typically translate to similar success in writing ability. It's like if you were an architect tasked with planning out a city that you ended up rendering so intricately that every building towered over another as a faithful reinterpretation of one of the myriad historical styles you learned in architecture school... only now hardly anyone lives there because to live there is to risk death driving on single-lane roads that weave in and out of the buildings' tight concrete pillars and lack stoplights at every point they meet.
Jacob Collier's original compositions are just that - failed cities from the mind of an architect whose personal understandings of embellishment and utility are one and the same.

rare to see a non-retarded person on Any Forums

2:47-3:07 is geniunely enjoyable and sounds like something that Mercury Rev or Flaming lips would do, but that gay ass funk shit ruins it

awful and annoying

how about the part that immediately comes after where he starts vocoder rapping?
>HRRBA GABA BLEBBA GOBBA SHORT N SWEET WHILE I MOVE MA FEET!

I bet you don't even understand conventional harmony. Stfu you ignorant slut

omg stfu

Exactly he could make the most amazing art pop stuff, as the guy said above me, but he wastes it on this stupid shit he thinks sounds good. I'm waiting for him to mature like Mozart or something so he start producing tactful stuff

After being exposed to him, i always feel compelled to listen to shit like suicide and esg and the like to wash the sound of his pompous crap out of my ears
m.youtube.com/watch?v=mu65m__QXws

m.youtube.com/watch?v=P4MB5k-DSwc

The thing is, I even like a lot of music that's self-indulgent, overwrought, arbitrary, overly clever, etc. I can't really put my finger on what Collier's problem is. Like other people can say "hey, I'm gonna do weird polymeters and then modulate 5 times in 5 seconds and work in a tone row for no fucking reason at all", and if they're not stupid it generally works out. Collier's got a real knack for making it sound simultaneously bland, weird and clumsy. I never heard anyone else do that. Like at heart he has really basic taste and tries to awkwardly shoehorn in a bunch of smart guy stuff where it doesn't belong.

Attached: costanza.jpg (338x338, 25.87K)

He did it because it was fun to do and that's a good enough reason. You don't need to worry about it so much. Relax.

Dude if you're being legit holy shit.

It's like an autist alone in his bedroom

Jacob Collier is the drum machine of song writing. Technically proficient, but emotionally sterile

nah drum machines are cool. "emotionally sterile" isn't even bad.

let's be real, he did it for clicks and to have one of those 'it's X but it's Y!' viral hits. And it worked.

Bruh I would rather listen to a Schoenberg 12tone piece any day over this Jacob cucks onions music. Jacob Collier also relies on studio magic like changing tuning temperaments on the fly to make his shit sound good.

People like Schoenberg had to show at some point that they can make music that is incredibly compelling and emotional and not some kind of musical dissertation, like below:
youtube.com/watch?v=U-pVz2LTakM

Attached: 1024px-Arnold_schönberg_man_ray.jpg (1024x1356, 153.02K)

ITT:
>I could totally write a Grammy win reharmonization bro, I just don't do it because ... reasons.
Just fucking do it you retards. I want to listen to it. Blow my fucking mind with these skills you've been hiding. I don't know why you wouldn't.

who is saying that?

replace his name with Richard Stallman and you have a parallel argument.

wait jacob collier has won a grammy? YIKES! the grammys sure are CRINGE!

>he thinks grammys are a measure of musical quality and not just industry insiders giving each other a televised pat on the back

Attached: 1597102979734.jpg (540x574, 101.87K)

music for emotionally crippled redditors

Where to find more like this? Pretty cool.

TURN IT OFF

Attached: 16B0C59A-E265-4B5C-A61B-C2BE9C183A47.jpg (750x1009, 40K)

Attached: 1642769619629.jpg (559x423, 14.78K)

kek accurate

i didnt know crisick made music

ilevens.bandcamp.com/album/transmitter
sevish.bandcamp.com/album/formless-shadows
acreil.bandcamp.com/album/aleatoric-aubades

It's because a lot of his harmony is conceived of almost entirely vertically. His perfect pitch gives him a lot of attachment to particular vertical sonorities and voicings to the detriment of the horizontal aspect of harmony - like he's clearly conceptually aware that voice-leading is a thing, but because of his preocupation with verticality, his music tends towards really weak functionality.

Now, that can be cool, if you're treating these vertical blocks of sound with a sense of narrative and drama, but he tends to focus on them as individual units, and all it ends up sounding like is a kind of panchromatic wash with tertian (or quartal/quintal) structure, but no sense of directionality or intent. You can really tell this by the ways he tries to inject sudden moments of drama - it's always with either a textural shift, a change in harmonic density, or a change in the note-density of individual chords (like, moving from 4-note shells to big thirteenth chords) - it's never with the drama of note-relations, because those become kinda meaningless in such a non-directional soup of notes.

Attached: 902.gif (800x520, 350.19K)

>it's never with the drama of note-relations, because those become kinda meaningless in such a non-directional soup of notes.
why would he care desu? his modus operandi and chief claim to fame is that he creates ludicrously ornate, overly-embellished covers of famous songs or themes from pop culture. He doesnt give a crap about employing advanced harmonic techniques to tell an abstracted story across the length of a preexisting song using its melody and chord structure as guidelines, he's only interested in cramming in as much goofy and needlessly complex shit into his arrangements as their durations will allow. He doesnt care about expressing a horizontal musical narrative: to him, every moment within a song is simply another opportunity to throw more wacky harmonic gimmicks at the wall and hope that his dumbass midwit listeners feel suitably impressed by his meaningless antics to give him the artistic benefit of the doubt and presume that his shit MUST be good, because it seems really ostentaciously complex, and if they approve of it, that must mean that they themselves are smart and cultured.

the epitome of rich kid debauchery

I mean... While I agree that's the case for a lot of his fans, I struggle to imagine that he is that cynical himself. I suspect he genuinely likes the music he makes, and I suspect it does have a sense of narrative drama to him (because of the idiosyncratic ways he thinks about harmony) it just doesn't translate well to most other people.

I mean, a lot of his music is really not complex at all, so I don't think it really is the sort of masturbatory fantasy that a lot of people like to paint it as - I think he genuinely is ~trying~ to make music that is resonant as well as just playful, and I think that comes through occasionally (for instance, the Bbm - Fm change in the intro of his cover of Oh Danny Boy is wonderfully tasteful, and Once You is a genuinely good song, apart from his mediocre singing). It's just that his idea of poingiency and musical narrative doesn't really match with mine or most other people's.

I mean, I LIKE ostentaciously complex Jazz, and I just don't really consider Collier to fit into that category in the same way as a lot of artists who go full-tilt on the playful musician-wank thing.

Links for reference:

youtu.be/ZXIApugIuqk

youtu.be/RIZzsx52sPI

cringe

Why does he dress like a faggot?

Those covers perfectly sum up his lack of taste. Especially Vol. 1 reminds me of those washed up rock and metal artists that release another album after years of being on hiatus and the cover art looks like some stock photo.

To be fair, you gotta have a high IQ to enjoy his music and most people are stupid.

I don't dislike him. His music's pretty boring and he's a bit cringe but it's fine. It's his fans that I despise.

>I struggle to imagine that he is that cynical himself
i dont, he seems like a massive narcissist at heart, as implies
>I mean, a lot of his music is really not complex at all,
thats why i wrote that it just *seems* ostentaciously complex, most of his use of advanced harmonic and microtonal compositional techniques is solely for show and has no deeper substance/meaning. To phrase it in another way, Collier is like the musical version of an amateur director who watched Tarantinos Pulp Fiction for the first time and was so impressed with it that he decides all of his subsequent projects will feature nonlinear narrative structures regardless of whether or not it benefits the communication of the story. You seem to want to view his arrangement aesthetic in good faith and figure that he's just a overly-technical autist who is just makin the best gosh-darned music he can and that its soullessness is just the innocent result of his conception of ideal poignance and musical narrative structure being different from that of most people, as articulated when you wrote
>his idea of poingiency and musical narrative doesn't really match with mine or most other people's.
But thats the thing, his aesthetic views DO NOT actually run contrary to those of the NPC normie masses, they eat this shit up like those goat food pellets at a petting zoo. That revolting performance in Tortonto of his song "With The Love In My Heart" aboveposted has almost 2 million views and the concert itself sold out apparently. Those two tracks you posted both have hundreds of thousands of views. He won a Grammy, which is about the most pro-establishment feat one can achieve as a musical artist today. >I mean, I LIKE ostentaciously complex Jazz, and I just don't really consider Collier to fit into that category
Bc he doesnt desu, he only includes just enough gaudy self-indulgent harmonic wankery in his songs to make his shit seem deep for midwits

It's like Impossible Soul but a third of the length but shit

>Flaws are what give pieces of art SOVL, which is to say, enduring personality and the capacity for forming with them an intimate and memorable connection

My favourite example of this
youtube.com/watch?v=njAuEGRthuw

Meanwhile in the Collier household...

>*strange sounds emanating from Jacob's room*
>Mom *knocks on door*
>"Jacob, sweetie..?
>"...yeaah and to the tree of love I go, oooh where the flowers grooow, aaand where the rivers flow ooOOOOoooooOOoO..."
>Mom *rolls eyes*
>another classic Collier dud
>*bangs on door*
>Jacob!" she shouts
>music stops, audible cursing
>"What the fuck do you want, Susan!?" he yells
>"Can I come in? We need to have a talk..."
>more cursing
>"Jesus, fine! But only if you enter tap-dancing to an 18/8 beat whilst clapping at 11/4 hehehe..."
>Mom *closes eyes, remembering her theory*
>tentatively opens door
>enters dancing like a circus chimpanzee
>"AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA," laughs Jacob
>Mom *visibly uncomfortable, almost crying*
>"THAT'S 11/8 YOU FUCKING IMBECILE AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"
>Mom *broken and ashamed, hangs her head in her hands*
>"DID I TELL YOU TO FUCKING STOP!!?!?" he screams, his cold lifeless eyes staring at her
>"Jacob please..." she begs
>chuckles
>"Whatever, bitch. What the fuck do you want, anyway!? Can't you see I'm busy!?" *gestures to ukulele and MacBook*
>he is fully nude
>Mom *sits down on edge of bed*
>"Look, Jacob—I've fallen behind on the rent, it's just that, ever since you dad left, well—we're in a bit of a financial tight spot at the moment, a-and I was wonderi-"
>Jacob *silences her by vocally harmonising to a pitch-perfect sequence of glissando farts*
>"You stupid whore, Dad never left, he's right there!" *points to life-size Fred Flintstone poster on the wall*
>"Listen, Jacob, I've had a really great idea that could solve everything: why don't you try writing in 4/4? If we can just put limits on your theoretical brilliancy, I think we'd be on to a winner! Write a pop mega hit, watch it climb the charts, Billboard Hot 100, UK Top 40, a colossal catchy single, the 'song of the summer', I can arrange for a lovely girl to come down from the conservatoire and-"
>"REEEEE NEGATIVE HARMONY!!!!"

Attached: file.png (700x550, 440.85K)